Help! Teeth cracking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 20, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

My two front teeth are cracked big time, I go in tomorrow, I also have my new neurologist tomorrow for my eeg & emg.

My question: The teeth are cracked top to bottom and we are hoping to save them with cosmetic bonding, however if I cannot I will probably opt to go straight to dentures if I have a choice.

I am such a clencher, constant and I have finally learned in my life it is time to pay the piper!!!!

I should have dealt with the TMJ years ago and gotten braces, etc.

Anyone else with cracked teeth & what did you do?

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

My two front teeth are cracked big time, I go in tomorrow, I also have my new neurologist tomorrow for my eeg & emg.

My question: The teeth are cracked top to bottom and we are hoping to save them with cosmetic bonding, however if I cannot I will probably opt to go straight to dentures if I have a choice.

I am such a clencher, constant and I have finally learned in my life it is time to pay the piper!!!!

I should have dealt with the TMJ years ago and gotten braces, etc.

Anyone else with cracked teeth & what did you do?

Jaci
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I have cracked 4 teeth in the last year. One is in the process of being root canaled and capped. One has been crowned. The other two are so full of metal that the dentist said that once he started working on them he couldn't guarantee that he would be able to fix them without root canals. I didn't want to go through that decision-making process (my doctor feels that CFS people should not have root canals but I don't want to lose my teeth either!) So I had him temporarily patch them up. He said that could last 5 weeks or 5 years. When they crack again or fall apart I may have to make the decision - take them out or root canals.

Could you not have yours crowned? It would be much easier to deal with than dentures!
    Pepper
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

and I really do not want to just go back time & time & time again, I do not want any more root canals, I really hate the way crowns look at the gumline, especially in the front. My teeth have always been so incredibly perfect to look at and I have always received compliments, I just would find it really hard personally to open my mouth or smile if I am self consious. It is just me, I am very vain when it comes to my teeth, very very very very vain. And I hate the dentist, ick. I dunno, we'll see.

Input please.

Jaci
  5. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I think the denture option would mainly rely on how many good teeth are still intact? How many are crowned allready, root canaled, filled, or ready to crack themselves too.

I am missing a whole row in the back bottom left,from the eye tooth back. And have just one tooth left on the left side top from the eye tooth back, the remaining one is the furthest back. On the right side I am missing just one on the top right. I have a row of fake teeth, I think some people call it crowns. They are three top teeth. I am going to be getting a additional tooth crowned soon, next to the front teeth, because of cracking, cavities.

I talked it over with my dentist, and he said that I have more teeth intact, than gone, so dentures wouldnt be a option. But then also with the new diagnosis of TMJ, and having a hard time chewing food on either side, it may become a option.

The fake teeth in front dont look bad at all, they stay against the gum line, and when I smile, they look natural. With the additional tooth going to be worked on, I think it will look even better. Cant tell I am missing so many teeth in the back, unless I open my mouth wide.

I can really understand your thoughts about going back and forth continually fixing teeth, and maybe it would be wiser in the long run, and save you money just to get dentures.

Hope I helped a little.

Sunshyne
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Your dentist may be able to do bonding and then you don't have to worry. However, if you do have to have crowns, they can be made to look very natural unless you show a lot of gum when you smile.

My teeth weren't great to start with so any work the dentist does is an improvement! I've had crowns in the front for years and no one knows - not even my best friends and my youngest sister who was too young to remember me with my "old" teeth! I did tell her and showed her my "before" picture. She couldn't believe it. But if yours are nice, I can see that this would be a terrible issue for you. Good luck.

Pepper
  7. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Jaci,
    in the past 1 and 1/2 years I have had to get 5 crowns due to cracking,breaking. I asked if it could be from the steroids I am taking all the time,or the fibro, everyone says no...I am sooo confused
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have a front tooth top, cracked from top to bottom....only 1/4 of tooth remains, the rest is bonding.....On the bottom I have a partial, as I opted to have two front middle teeth removed. (Yes picture a Jack-o-lantern :) If I only knew then, what I know now! Keep your teeth with bondo, superglue...whatever means you can, it is far superior to partials, and dentures.
    Karen