Help Thumb is Numb

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NanaMama, Aug 11, 2006.

1. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Hi everyone.

I wonder if any of you have experienced this or if you know how to help. I know that numbness and tingling is something we experience frequently with fibro, but one of my thumbs has been numb for longer than a week now. That has not been the norm for me. It functions, but as soon as I touch something with it, in use or just brushing by something, I notice it is very numb feeling.

Please let me know what your opinion is. Thanks, NanaMama
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

for about 10 years I have experienced my right 2nd toe doing the same thing. Doc says is just circulation but I don't believe him. Ithink could be nerve pressing somewhere.
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I guess this is just another one of the wonderful things this awful disease does to us.

A thought...I take lyrica, which is used for neurological pain, and I suppose this could also be a cause of some kinds of numbness and/or tingling. Are you on any neurological drugs?

God Bless.
  4. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Thanks blueski for the "nerve" opinion. That is all I have been able to find in the fibro books I've read too. That makes sense but how the heck do we get rid of it. If you have had it for 10 years I don't think massage is going to help! Well, thanks anyway. Just wondered if I needed to go in to the doc again.
    Have a good day. NanaMama
  5. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Wow Unicork. I do take Lyrica and increased it on Monday. Does that help your pain? So far I think it has helped mine a little. I am now taking 150 mg at night. I can't take it during the day. I fall asleep!
    NanaMama
  6. angelisa337

angelisa337 New Member

there is a few kinds they can do for your arms and hands. I'm not sure but i think its called thai massage mixed with lomi lomi massage. It helped me. I can asked my massage theraphist for you if you are definately going to use my advice. I just dont like to bother her until my next week appt. I hope you feel a lot better and G-d bless you.
  7. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Prob. massage would help if I knew which nerve was being pressed...I have spurs and a hernated dics in c-spine so not sure which nerve. As far as massage only one therapist will touch my back- she knows me and is my choice. go find a good therapist and maybe it will help..with it being in your finger, my guess would be upper thoracic or cervical spine.

hope I helped....
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2006]
  8. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Thank you I appreciate the offer of help. I will take your advice for the massage.
    NanaMama
  9. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Thank you all very much for your quick replys. I will definitely look into it with massage and check into my Lyrica meds.
    NanaMama