HELP tick question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jul 29, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have been going through my old postings........looking for when I posted a easy way to get rid of a tick on a person.

I forget what I posted.......on how and what to do.

I am not finding it by going through my old posts/ Does anyone remember!

Does anyone know what a tick looks like embedded in someone?
    Would a rash occur in that area?

My hubby noticed that my face was blotchy with red and white...and broken out slightly. Later I found what I thought was black head on forehead up by brow line.

I tried to squeeze it. My DH tried and even took a needle to the area and what ever that black thing is.....it does not want to budge.

Thanks for reading this..........Susan

2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I really looked for it........thanks ever so much/

Hugs to you........Susan
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

You are right.......I really was thinking it was that but was not sure.

Stormskye found my old posting for me.

I have no idea what this is. I did the cotton ball liquid soap thing......and it is still there.

Could my DH killed it by trying to get it out? LOL.

Thanks
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

hi susan,
    it sounds like what happened to me last year, we were on vacation & had went hiking. that evening at the hotel i had an itching pain on my shoulder when the hubby looked it was a tick and really stuck!! when he tried to pull it out, the body broke off & the head stayed in. needless to say after30 minutes of trying to get the head out with a needle.i had to just leave it & wait for a week for it to work its way out. and got an infection in the process. you may want to see your Dr. maybe they can get it, hope this helps ya. Kat
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

Did you get a rash? I still have some of it.....my face and neck and down some......really blochey.....looks better now.

My DH asked me what eas wrong with me.......said it looked like a allergic reaction.

Again.....thanks for your reply.........Susan

P.S. at this point I am thinking of trying to see Dr. on Monday.[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2006]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the Readers' Digest book on Home Remedies says:

"If a tick has already latched onto your skin, use tweezers to grab it by the head, as close to your skin as possible. Slowly pull upward until it lets go. If you yank it off, the head can break off in your skin and remain there until infection sets in."

Save the tick in a plastic bag in case a rash shows up, maybe days or a month later. If necessary the tick can be tested for Lyme.

Don't know if that helps in this case since you're not sure it's a tick.

To apply to bug bites: Sea Breeze astringent for oily skin; underarm deodorant; peppermint oil (drop or two); anti-itch cream or spray that contains: menthol, an anesthetic, hydrocortisone, and/or an antihistamine.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...I'd suggest seeing your doctor, too, if you can just so you don't accidentally do things the wrong way. But above all, SAVE the tick. It can always be tested for Lyme, etc. that way. Especially important since you seem to have had some sort of reaction on your face.

Good luck, let us know how it all comes out!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Tick Removal

(from lymedotorg)

Tick's mouthparts have reverse harpoon-like barbs, designed to penetrate and attach to skin. Ticks secrete a cement-like substance that helps them adhere firmly to the host. If you find that you or your pet has been bitten by a tick, it is important to remove it properly.

Tick Removal Procedure:

1) Use fine-point tweezers to grasp the tick at the place of attachment, as close to the skin as possible.

2) Gently pull the tick straight out.
    3) Place the tick in a small vial labeled with the victim's name, address and the date.
    4) Wash your hands, disinfect the tweezers and bite site.
    5) Mark your calendar with the victim's name, place of tick attachment on the body, and general health at the time.
    6) Call your doctor to determine if treatment is warranted.
    7) Watch the tick-bite site and your general health for signs or symptoms of a tick-borne illness. Make sure you mark any changes in your health status on your calendar.
    8) If possible, have the tick identified/tested by a lab, your local health department, or veterinarian.
    If the mouthparts break off in the skin - should I dig them out?

We have heard two competing opinions about this.

One viewpoint states that the mouthparts can cause a secondary infection, and should be removed as if it was a splinter.

Another viewpoint was shared with us by a pediatrician in a hyperendemic area. He states that parents can do more harm by trying to hold down a child and dig out the mouthparts with a needle. He instructs his families to leave the mouthparts, and that they will come out on their own as the skin sloughs off.

CAUTIONS:

Children should be taught to seek adult help for tick removal.
    If you must remove the tick with your fingers, use a tissue or leaf to avoid contact with infected tick fluids.
    Do not prick, crush or burn the tick as it may release infected fluids or tissue.
    Do not try to smother the tick (e.g. petroleum jelly, nail polish) as the tick has enough oxygen to complete the feeding.
  9. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

from
    The Lyme Association of Greater Kansas City, Inc.

DO NOT USE LIQUID SOAP!
    It can remove ticks, but this method is
    VERY dangerous. This will cause the tick to contract its body, making it vomit
    germs into the bite site. If the tick is infected with Lyme
    disease,it will vomit Lyme bacteria from its gut into the bite site. This is
    especially dangerous on a person's head, where the germs can travel
    quickly to infect the brain, eyes, or ears. This can cause serious
    neurological problems, blindness in the eye near the bite site, and
    deafness in the ear near the bite site. Prompt and adequate
    antibiotictreatment can improve these conditions but may not totally cure
    them.

Using liquid soap, rubbing alcohol, nail polish, lighter fluid, other
    chemicals, or even a hot match will cause the tick to contract its body
    and vomit germs into the bite.
  10. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

NEVER EVER use soap or anything else to 'help' get a tick out, that will make the tick regurgitate more germs.

If you've had a tickbite, and you have a rash, then you have Lyme disease. It's as simple as that. The rash after a tickbite is diagnostic of Lyme, on it's own (without a test).

Go to lymenetdotorg and get a referral to a knowledgeable Lyme doctor. Also, visit iladsdotorg, which is the international Lyme and Associated Diseases society.

To treat early Lyme, regardless of any other accompanying symptoms, you will need 4-6 weeks antibiotics at least. Less than that you will not cover the lifecycle of the spirochetes and only kill part of them leaving them to multiply again later.

DLL
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

It was just a foreign object......unknown what.........Dr. removed it.Thanks to everyone for their replies......

Never know when I or someone else will need info......Susan
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

Probably a monitoring device that was secretly implanted? I lead such an interesting life.....that it needs monitoring?

Lets see...struggle daily to get up.......everntually shower and dress and that could be hours in between...nap....eat....sometimes cold leftovers from the refrigerator....nap

Read mail.......newspaper.....do crossword puzzle.....nap....etc. until it is time for bed again....

Come to think of it.......That is a safd life and I can see why "Big Brother" is trying to figure me out!

LOL.........Susan