help! Tips for brain fog...I'm back to work and confused!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deniset524, Aug 18, 2003.

1. deniset524

deniset524 New Member

I'm back to work as an assistant principal at a middle school...I can't remember what to do, forget things I have started, etc...I make up lists, then lose the lists...do any of you our there have any bona fide tips that work? I'm in tears as I write this as I'm not sure I can continue working...I just feel like I'm not here...surely someone can help!
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

The only med which has helped with my brain fog is Ritalin in small doses. It makes all the difference in the world. Some people take Provigil I believe, but my doctor did not recommend it because of the combination of my other meds.
    Hope you'll find some relief, especially with the type of job you have.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  3. monicacat

monicacat Member

Has your brain fog worsened since you've been back at work, if so look to your environment at the school. Did they do any remodeling at the school, painting, new carpet.

Start using unscented natural grooming and cleaning products. Try an air purifier in your office, Austin Air makes a great one with zeolite that absorbs off gassing and odors. Stay away form printers and copy machines, if you have one in your office get it out.

You could be reacting to chemicals and not realize it.

Good Luck,

Monicacat

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I make changes in my routine. Things may settle in in a couple of days. In the meantime, the advice to look for indoor toxins is a good idea. Do you feel better at home or on the weekends? That's usually a good clue. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. Katee

Katee New Member

deniset524-
    I am returning to work next week (6th grade teacher) and I am also worried about the brain fog that gets to me. I know that stress really plays an important part in my fog--and I am SURE you have lots of stress. I know too, that I have to get the best sleep that I possibly can, and plenty of very good foods, and rest on the weekend. Even writing these things that sound helpful,though, may not be enough for me during the school year. Also, I used to live by multitasking and now some days I can barely handle one job at a time. My suggestion is to try to do one thing at a time and have a place for EVERYTHING on your desk. Post- It notes come in very handy.
    I hope that once you get back into your usual routine, your brain starts kicking in to help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for me too!! Good Wishes, Katee
  6. JP

JP New Member

I wish I had something to share. I can offer my support. When I am at my worst I can sometimes find comfort in taking life a moment at a time and to include lots of deep breathing to help with the anxiety around the situation. My fog seems to have the control at this point in my life. I try to keep things light hearted and make little jokes when I find myself lost with others. Self kindness is an invaluable gift. Turn the kindness that you give to others onto yourself. Be sure to give yourself ample room to adjust.

Take care, keep breathing and keep us posted...Jan
  7. Echo2

Echo2 New Member

a little electronic voice recorder. They are tiny, fit right in a pocket. Mine is a Sony and cost about $65.00 and worth every penny. If somebody asks me to do something, as soon as they are out of earshot I say it into my recorder. When I think of things while driving or whatever, I can record my thoughts fast and not lose them. Then I play them back each morning and whenever I feel confused,then erase tasks as I complete them. It even has seperate "folders" so you can set up one for work, one for home etc. I have one folder I use for shopping list stuff. My hubby has even started telling me to put some reminder for HIM into the recorder so he doesn't forget. lol. I always lose or forget notes, but when I see the recorder I remember to play it back. Hope this helps, and best of luck - keep trying but don't get too unhappy if you can't work full time, you wouldn't expect someone with another disability to do things they can't, so don't do that to yourself, ok?
    Hugs
    Echo
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

first of all, do what someone else said, check your work environment. Then try to calm down, the stress of going back to work maybe causing this also. New routines always throw me for a loop.

Drink your water, and take magnesium, thats a must for the fog.

If there are toxins in your work place, the water will help flush them out of your system. Magnesium will help hold down the stress along with a lot of other goodies.

Keep everything is its proper place, that way you don't have to 'think' where you put things.

I sure hope it gets better for you.

Shalom, Shirl

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Boy, can I sympathize. I am a teacher at a college prep school who is going through what seems to be a CFS relapse. I've struggled off and on with this thing for over twelve years.
    Today was the first day of teacher meetings, and did it seem overwhelming. I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it back at all, and at most, I'll be doing 3/4 time this year. Luckily, I have a very supportive department chair and administration. My symptoms have improved a little, but I still feel wiped out and have achy glands. And I feel very "woozy" and out of it.
    I felt like I was going to faint during the long meeting this morning.
    I'm drinking a lot more water, trying deep, slow, even breaths, and eating extremely well: lots of salads, some fruits, daily fresh veggie juicing and wheatgrass shots whenever possible. I'm having to make a huge effort to stay focused. Let me know if you find anything especially useful for the brain fog. Good luck!
  10. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

Recently my doctor perscribed me "Straterra" for the brain fog and it really helps me a lot. Straterra is used for ADHD. It helps with focusing on day to day things. My mind doesn't "wander" near as much and it helps clear the fog I seem to go through on a day to day basis. You may want to ask your doctor about it.
    Kim
  11. lucky

lucky New Member

Straterra is a newer drug for Attentition Deficit Disorder and acts like Ritalin, and I do believe that some people are against this form of med, but as you, I only can say that since I am on Ritalin my life has improved substantially, and I just cannot imagine having to cope with a foggy and forgetful brain all the time.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  12. lmn

lmn New Member

One thing that has worked wonders for me is Proenergy - magnesium and malic acid. I'm returning to school next week, too! Good luck to us all!!! lmn