help!!! trying to help my son with fibro pain what should he take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gotdirt, Jul 12, 2010.

1. gotdirt

gotdirt New Member

my son just got diagnosed with fibro. I have cfs. took him to a doctor at usc medical. he prescribed him savalla. which for someone with gi problems already is really a good choice? well he had more gi problems. then he made sure he took it with food. but when he could not afford another month he weaned himself off. but had nausea and vomiting for a month. said it helped give him energy but did nothing for the body pain. and he told me the withdrawals were so bad he would never take it again.
    now I call back the doctor after paying him hundreds of dollars to get him to prescribe him something for the pain and he won't even call him.
    my son says most drugs don't help him or he won't take them. but perkoset SP? helped.
    now are doctors refusing to prescribe narcotics ? even though they know the pain fibro causes?
    what drugs do you guys take that work on the body pain???
    my son hurts so bad that he has told me that he has thought about suicide! now when I convey that to a doctor and he still can't prescribe something for my son. I wish sometimes you could just transfer that pain to them. bastards!!!!

LEFTYGG Member

I take tramadol every 4 hrs mag and calcium ha really helped relax my mucles. im so sorry when our children hurt its worse. i hope you get gail
  3. KerryK

KerryK Member

Sorry to hear about your son. Antidepressants can be very tough medicine to tolerate. Perhaps, if you can afford it, he should try Lyrica. For some, it is very helpful. Another older alternative is gabapentin. It is cheaper but must be prescribed in high doses. Even with that, there will be often intolerable pain, but they can be helpful.

Good luck!
  4. Supermami

Supermami New Member

I started taking this and it is effective. Also, if the pain doesn't abate completely (some days it's not enough), I asked the pharmacist and he said that acetomenephin was ok. Excedrin Migraine was ok, too. I also take nortriptaline which helps with sleep and seems to quiet some of the background pain. Flexeril, or cyclobenzaprine, is a muscle relaxant that I take, too. It helps with some of the cramp/spasming but makes me sleepy so I take it only at night.
    The problem with percoset and other narcotics is that they are highly addictive and widely abused.
    I don't know how old your son is, but many medications are not recommended for use by teenagers.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2010]
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Sorry your son is in so much pain.

I can relate.

I had a FM diagnosis for 21 years before discovering the CAUSE of my symptoms on my own.

He should think of the FM as a symptom, not his final diagnosis.

It is likely a symptom of a larger infectious picture that the Dr does not care to see.

I have a chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection (lyme disease) that caused my FM pain.

It is a fact that many, many people on this board have later discovered that they had a chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection, along with common coinfections like Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia.

Please have your son read this....great symptom list in this booklet...

symptom list pages 9-11 and coinfection symptom info pages 22-27...

99% of Dr's are not educated about how to recognize, diagnose or treat chronic lyme.

Most Dr's mistakenly rule lyme out with a negative lab test, which is very unreliable and wrong.

I would advise him to read the info and find a Lyme literate MD through's Seeking a Doctor board or your local Lyme disease support group.
  6. gotdirt

gotdirt New Member

he got tested at the free clinic for Lyme. they actually did it in a hospital lab. i did ask about what type do they use. the western sensitive or what? they said they just do the regular then if there is any indication they do a different test. I know the western sensitive test is $300 done thru the blood lab at whittmore peterson institute in reno. but i could trust that test. do you think I should do the test over? he does have dogs and visits lake areas a lot.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Sounds like they only did an ELISA which is absolutely worthless....almost always negative.

Even a western blot by a regular lab is poor.

Yes, I would get a western blot IgG and IgM, test #188 and #189, by Igenex.

call or email them for a free test kit.

Dr's order form is in the kit.

Just insist that this is what you want.

Cost is about $200.

I would also find a LLMD and make an appt asap. It could mean the difference between being ill forever and not.

Remember though, that Lyme should NEVER be ruled out by just a negative lab test....that's very important!! It is a clinical diagnosis based on history, symptoms and exam.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2010]
  8. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

If you describe it, maybe we can be more help. For instance, I have a low level of generalized aching pain, which is worse in the mornings.

But I also often have a series of short, sharp, stabbing pains that may come and go for hours in a particular spot (and those spots change from day to day, or even morning to afternoon!) I've learned that these are caused by muscle spasms.

By evening, I often feel that every muscle in my body is tightened into one massive knot == that's also muscle spasm.

So, you asked what works --
    The generalized achy stuff I've learned to pretty much ignore, or I take something like Motrin for it.

The pains from both types of muscle spasm, I treat both with medication (muscle relaxer like Zanaflex) and with heat like a heating pad or a warm rice bag. Some people find soaking in a warm tub of water also helps.

With all that said, after 7 years of treatment while having my pain brushed off by my rheumatologist, I have finally gotten him to give me some prescription pain medicine for the worst days -- and the way I did it was by straightforwardly telling him that we had to talk about my pain, and then described how I was at my very worst times (in my case, curled in a fetal position, trying not to moan, while hit with worse pain than my 2 unmedicated childbirth experiences.) I was so grateful ... He agreed that no one should have to put up with that kind of pain. But I'm very careful with the medication he prescribed and do not take it more than 2 or 3 days a month at this point -- I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse!

So my suggestion is that rather than taking your son in and asking directly for pain meds, which would raise all sorts of red flags from doctors who are vigilant against drug-seeking addicts, that you instead describe the kind of pain your son is in, and how it affects his ability to do whatever he does (work, school, self care, sleep or what all), and maybe be prepared to also explain what else you've tried that hasn't worked.

Does your son have a primary physician? You might have better luck with a doctor who knows him rather than a stranger.

Best wishes,
  9. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Its already mentioned but i think tramal is a good choice, then one of the anticonvulsants like neurontin or lyrica, neurontin being the cheaper one. Plus most fibro sufferers dont sleep well so maybe look into some good sleep meds like zopiclone/imovane or zolpidem/ambien/stilnox, something like this with neurontin or lyrica will help with sleep and better sleep will help with pain.