Help. Valcyte vs Famvir

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ArgyrosfeniX, Apr 15, 2007.

1. ArgyrosfeniX

ArgyrosfeniX New Member

Going to see the Internist tomorrow.

Have been reading the posts about Valcyte and Famvir and am considering taking one of them... The question is which one do you guys think works best?

I don't really want to take days off from work, but if it'll get rid of most of my symptoms, I might be willing to go that route.

What do you think?

Thanks for any and all replys!!
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My doctor's plan for me is to use Famvir to kill as many viruses as possible, then switch to Valcyte to go after the more resistant ones.

He thinks this will decrease the amount of time I need to be on Valcyte (maybe two months at full strength plus some pulsing after that).

(Dr. Montoya keeps patients on Valcyte for at least six months.)

Valcyte is a more toxic drug, and my doctor seems to think minimizing the amount of time that I need to spend on it will be safer.

In addition, without as many viruses to kill, the die-off on the Valcyte may be less extreme than experienced by some people.

I don't know if this is going to work for me, much less for other people. I'm just stating my doctor's strategy for me.

My bio (the bottom third) has a pretty complete summary of my experiences on Famvir (five months) so far, and so you could read it if you like.

Good luck!

Best, Lisa
  3. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Thank you 'all' for infor. I appreciate your input for the drs. This is valuable.
    Great info.
    Ginner
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2007]
  4. ArgyrosfeniX

ArgyrosfeniX New Member

I appreciate all the information!!

I'll be seeing the Doc tomorrow at noon (CDT).

Will check for more replys before I go.

((Hugs!!))
  5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I think it depends on which virii you test positive for. ie EBV is sensitive to valtrex, but HHV6 is not. etc...
    thats really the determining factor.