Help, very new here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by detsgirl, Aug 15, 2006.

1. detsgirl

detsgirl New Member

Hi Everyone,

After many years and trips to the doctors, they have told me what I have is Fibromyalgia. I have been looking up online and was shocked to find my symptoms in a list! Well, I guess I'm relieved to know what this is, but now I really don't know much else. I go back to the doctor on the 28th and then she is going to start me on Cymbalta (sp?) and something else to help me get some weight off.
    Does anyone have any suggestions/info etc. for a newbee?

Thanks! Teresa

2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hi Teresa!

Were you diagnosed by your GP? If so they may want to send you to a neurologist and maybe a rhuematologist just to rule out any other problems (I know, FM is enough!!).

I was surprised to see a list of symptoms that matched mine so closely, too. I have to go look at that sort of thing often to remind myself that I am not alone and my symptoms are REAL!

As far as advice, there are some really well informed/educated FM people (I'm not one of them!)on this board. When you have questions, post them and those people will help all they can.

We're glad to have you!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. detsgirl

detsgirl New Member

Hey, yeah i agree with you about seeing the symptoms and know your not crazy!

I have been to all those doctors, I have had 3 MRI, many x-rays, some "trial Meds" Finally, I went back to my GP and she told me about this. This started after my first baby was born- she is now 14 years old!! Its just gotten worse and worse after each baby (I have 4) and with the added weight.................
    I'm trying to loose some of the weight, but boy, its difficult. I thought about the lap-band but my insurance will not cover it. So now I'm going to do weight watchers. Any body else struggle with weight?
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It takes time to absorb it all. You have come to a great place though. There is tons of information here and lots of caring people. You can search old posts at the top left and when you have time, it's helpful reading.

You may eventually discover some help with nutritional changes as well as some supplements. FM can be frustrating because what helps one may not help another.

Good luck with the WW. It can be really effective even without doing a lot of exercise.

Kathy.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to the board.

Lots of info here and lots of nice people.
  6. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I too have FM and CFS. I have yet to have children and really want at least one but I have worries about how I will be able to care for a child, etc.

I have struggled with my weight most my life, since I was made pretty much bedridden from RSD as a child. Plus my mother used food as a way to comfort me and I've just continued to do it myself.

I was lap-band first in 10/02 in Lyon, France by Dr. Frering with a mid-band. I was self-pay so the US was too expensive, I found my doctor through the surgical team. I lost 120lbs in less than a year and went into a short remission during which I met my now husband.

Then I ended up with a rare circumstance that caused my band to slip forward onto my esophagus and it had to be removed. There is a 1% slippage rate with the band so it was rare enough to have happend but it is almost unheard of to have a band slip forward. I swear things always happend to me!

I gained back 77lbs in the 9 months I was unbanded and it made me even more miserable. The eurodollar went up so I couldn't go to France again. I went to the Bajanor clinic in TJ, Mexico and got rebanded. I paid $6,900 plus airfare with my credit cards.

I am still working on my weight coming back off but I am hopeful again and can't wait to get back into my size 10 jeans sitting in the closet. I wouldn't mind another remission either!

Good luck to you in your journey of knowledge about your new found disease.
    A
  7. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

What will help you is to research and read articles here and read all the posts, there is alot of info, from firsthand people... youll find much support here. If you have good insurance I would see a rheummie and get some bloodwork and test for mycoplasmas and viruses.... and then deal w/those as well.
    glad youre here,
    blessings,
    Iggy
  8. detsgirl

detsgirl New Member

What is your experience with Cymbalta or other meds they have put you on? Does the "foggy brain" thing lift???