help, vita-mix questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimelia, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Hey everyone. I was wondering if the vita-mix blender is the same thing as a juicer? I want a good juicer. Are they easy to clean and use? I hear they are the best. How long is the juice good for after juiced?
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I just bought a Needak Rebounder from a guy who is into teaching everybody he comes in contact with all about rebounding and the Vita-Mix Blender.

According to him, the benefit of the Vita-Mix blender is that you get the roughage as well as the juice. When I use my juicer, I only get juice and have to throw all the roughage out. He says that when he juices, he uses every part of the fruit or vegetable except the stem.

He eats 50% raw foods which are alkaline. He thinks that anyone with a chronic illness should aim for at least 50% raw foods because we are too acidic.

I am thinking of buying one myself and will be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Pepper
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have a nice Champion juicer that sits in the closet because it's so heavy and cumbersome to clean.

My VitaMix on the other hand gets used every day. Unlike other expensive juicers, you do get the pulp but I think that's good as long as you're using organic foods.

Our very favorite juice is a green drink made with mixed salad greens, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, green onions and a little olive oil and salt. It is so good!

I also grind all my whole wheat in the VitaMix.

Jan
  4. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

VITAMIX IS A POWERFUL BLENDER WITH REVERSE. IVE NEVER JUICED WITH MINE. I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD HAVE TO ADD WATER TO MAKE FRUIT AND VEGS TO BE DRINKABLE. IT GREAT CAUSE IF YOU ADD ICE IT GETS VERY COLD.

KINGNEPTUNE TALKS ABOUT A GOOD JUICER I HAVE A JACK LALANE JUICER I HAVENT EVEN USED. IM GOING TO START SOON THO AFTER READING ALL THE RAW FOODS POSTS.
  5. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

can't you drain the juice from the pulp with a strainer?
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Altho it may be hard to press it 'dry' enough so you don't waste any?

My problem is that I have an old Vitamix, which has a spout tap to drain it when liquefying food. The only thing is, is that it is hard to clean as it is at the bottom, rather narrow, etc. I have used a cork in it to keep food from ending up crammed in there, and keep changing it to keep it hygienic... but since i can't really SEE it anyway I worry about nasty bugs growing there in residue left behind.

Anyone have any other solutions to making sure food doesn't end up in that tap (besides a cork) so I can still use my old one?????

I've noticed the new ones do NOT have the tap anymore... but really do NOT want to have to invest the $$ again when my old one works perfectly fine!

Thanks,
    Victoria

7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have an old stainless steel model but it doesn't have the spigot. Sometimes you can pick up used containers on eBay (there's one on there right now for $40 with no spigot but I have seen them cheaper). I got my whole machine for $25 at a garage sale years ago.

I would be concerned about germs growing in there, too. Can you run a small bottle brush through it while pushing down on the handle?

I run hydrogen peroxide through our crockery water container with a spigot to keep it clean, but then it never has anything to stop it up. You might call VitaMix and ask what they'd charge to convert it.

Jan
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks Jan for the idea of calling them up or finding a new container. Mines a stainless steel also, top of the line at the time.

(I did try a bottle brush, had to bend the bottom inch or so at 90 degree angle, but when you can't see anything, there's no way to know if there's anything there or not.)

all the best,
    Victoria
  9. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

how would i know if i was buying one with this stuff you are talkign about ladies, so it's easier to clean and not to worry about germs?
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't think the new Vitamixes have the spigot/tap that I was referring to; just saw an ad for them, and didn't notice one. If there is one on the blender container, it will be at the base of the container itself, it's very obvious when you see one.

I mostly saw it as an ad for making soup with the Vitamix and then opening the tap right into your bowl or mug...

all the best,
    Victoria