Help... What can be done about burning skin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi everyone

I'm really hoping someone can help with this one. I'm going nuts with this problem. My skin feels like it is on fire - my arms, legs, stomach, back and face.

I've been told by my Dr that there is not much that can be done about this. I'm taking Neurontin, 2400mg per day, but it is not helping with this pain at all.

Does anyone know of anything that can help? What about topical creams etc?

Thanks, take care
    Michelle
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Wish I knew the answer to this; my palms & sole burn like mad. The only relief I've found is to sit in a cool bath.
  4. damz68

damz68 New Member

and even though there are a couple things that help me, it really is not enough.

Swiming-but you cant stay in a pool all day and if you really do get sunburned it will increase symptom.

Keep feet warm-I just recently noticed that the coolder my feet are the more I burn. Sometimes I can not tell if my feet are burning too. It is a fine line between burning/freezing. LOL.

Try to stay as active as you can-I burn more while laying and inactive, this may not be the same for you.

Whatever you do dont go outside and work up a sweat and then come in chill out in the AC. For me this is the bigest increase in burning.

I have also noted that after dinner at about 7pm is when my burning seems to calm down.

We may not be the same but if you try differant things you may find something to help you cope. For me it is the scariest symptom and also most painfull, that is sying a lot! I have also noticed that I burn less in winter and that is coming, so hang in there.

Does your face ever burn so bad that you feel like you are running a fever?
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

thank for your replies everyone.

I'm finding this one of the hardest symptoms to manage right now.

My doctor wont prescribe Klonopin due to addictive potential - I'm well past caring about that, but they just wont give it to me.

The burning is generally worse at night, and it moves around my body, but always on my arms and legs, also alternating with feeling freezing. Sometimes it feels like both! An ice pack on a hot head does help temporarily.

It does seem to be worse after activity - I cant do alot right now, a slow paced walk for about 15 minutes is all I can manage, followed by some stretching. I usually do this at 5pm, and I'm wondering if that is what is making it worse.

Anyway, thank you for your responses
    Take care
    Michelle
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

The burning in my arms and back came with the onset of this relapse. 'Then it crept up into my face, forehead, neck, and ears. My skin was hot to the touch and I did have a mild fever.

Now the burning seems to be settling on the left side of my face, although the heat seems to be dissapating.

Sleeping with a wet wash cloth cools it down somewhat. The cloth becomes warm, though.

It's always worse at night when I am sleeping, When I awaken I go through a few minutes of intensity in both my arms and face. It's worse when I am laying down or inactive.

I tried Lyrica, but it makes me nervous and nauseous.

This is one of my distressing symptoms.

CherylSue
  7. jujubee

jujubee New Member

I found a good bit of relief for my legs, when my doctor gave a sample pack of Requip. It is for Restless Leg Syndrome, but I am sleeping a lot better. I had previously only gotten relief in my legs from Klonopin.

I am afraid, I have found very little topical stuff, with the possible exception of DMSO for my arms, neck and back. I apply a lot of baby lotion to my face.

When I am feverish feeling to myself, I have found ordinary aspirin, 2 or 3 tablets every 3 or 4 hours helps overall and it reduces some of the achiness too.

Good luck.
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

along with pain that migrates from one part of the body to another .The burning sensations were so scary when I first got sick that I went to the ER twice . Ten years later , I still have them . I was recently diagnosed w/ Lyme disease , like MANY OTHERS here who had never considered lyme a possible cause of our disease .

If you have not had an IGENEX lyme test , please consider . I had these symptoms for yeears before a lyme diagnosis .

The Igenex western blot test is the only reliable test
    for lyme.

you can get more info on lyme at ILADS ( org) the lyme disease assoc . Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2006]
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Some on this board have had success in treating burning pain of the nerve kind with this. Your doc should be more open to trying that.

Hugs,

Bunchy xxx
  10. fireopal

fireopal New Member

I too suffer tremendously with burning skin pain - especially in the upper arms and chest, so that wearing clothing is painful. I wear my blouses inside out (silk) in the house. With winter coming up, it's very difficult to participate in life outside. It also is my most distressing symptom.

My doctor also won't prescribe anti-anxiety drugs because of the addiction factor. I've tried Neurontin and Lyrica, had no help, just more side effects. I'm also going thru menopause and the burning is worse after a hot flash. Nothing topical has helped for me either. My headache meds that have barbituates in them help some, but I only take half the dose most of the time, because of the sleepiness. The Dr. doesn't like prescribing them either, but so far I've convinced her it's all I can take.

I do notice that I have less pain if I can keep my mind occupied on other things, but that's not easy when you're stuck at home so much. I do better in summer, because I can wear silk tank tops at home and no coat for outside. What I wouldn't give to be able to wear appropriate clothing and be warm when it's cold and cool when it's warm!

I wish you well and let us know if anything helps. I've also tried many supplements that were supposed to help with anxiety and thus perhaps some of the nerve pain, but they made my hot flashes worse or gave me more headache or sleepiness.

God bless.

Fireopal