HELP WHAT do I do with my new doc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I am in the UK and my old doc has struck me off his register because I am no longer in the area. No matter how hard I tried to persuade them to keep me on, the answer was no!

I now have an appt with a new doc but don't know if she will give me the meds I need ( controversial stuff for stomach problems and a lot of benzo drugs)

How can I convince her I really need these things as my life is unbearable without them?

How can I convince her that all my weird and wonderful symptoms which have ruined my life and left me disabled and with so many physical problems that it is not all in my head??

I don't even know where to start.

Any ideas??

Thanks Bunchy xxx
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'm confused. You write "because I am no longer in the area." Do you mean that you moved?

I'm trying to figure out why the old doctor isn't seeing you. Is it over your wanting these medications????

If it isn't over him refusing to give you the medications anymore, then why don't you ask his office for a copy of your medication records along with a short summation of your medical history.

I'd DEFINITELY take all of you different medication bottles with you.

I think it is important not to act desperate (as if you are "hooked on drugs").

You calmly tell her your previous diagnosis, or hand her the summation from your old doctor. You also give her the bag with all of your current medications in it. You may want to have them itemized on a paper too, but I'd definitely take them along with me.

That way, the new doctor sees that you have actually been already taking these medications.

I just reread your message. I'm still confused. How could the new doctor possibly think that your physical problems are "in your head" if you are disabled???

[This Message was Edited on 11/18/2006]
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

One suggestion is to keep your cool with the new doctor. If you act desperate for your meds, they are more likely to cut you off.

Just be matter of fact and tell them it took a long time to determine what meds worked best for you - and what you are currently taking helps more than anything.

Sometimes saying less with a doctor is better. Just remain calm and clear that your current meds are helping you live a normal live.

I wish you the best....
  4. monamea

monamea New Member

Hi bunchy

What makes you think the new Dr. will not help you? Sometimes getting a new Dr. with updated info will be more helpful than the old. Some Dr's are stuck in the old ways and refuse to try or learn new drugs or ways. A lot of them will have new tests preformed and may prescribe new meds. that will work better. Is there a problem with this train of thought? You have to have an open mind for anything to work! Go there with a smile and tell him truthfully how you feel and what you are now on, than ask him if there is anything they can do for you. If you don't like their response try another untill you are comfortable with them.
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I agree, it is important not to act too desperate and I am also getting my old doc to talk to my new doc.

In the UK in some areas, if you move house out of the area they will not keep you on.

You are right, maybe it will turn out for the better - a new perspective and better drugs.

Still nervous but hoping for a positive outcome :)

Thanks guys,

Love Bunchy xxx