HELP!! What do you do on BAD day dealing with pain of this dd?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Somedays it just @#@@#@#@ hard to deal with the pain of fibro. What do you do to deal with it? It just gets so darn depressing day after day. And to know it will never get better! Somedays its just tooo much. How do you keep yourself positive with such a terrible dd? Any suggestions?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2003]
  2. ranger

ranger New Member

First of all, thinking positive is overated. My dang mother-in-law always says that too about this DD. Like it is going to change what happens to me or my pain. When it hurts, it hurts. You just have to do what you can and rest. Rest, rest, rest. Don't lift anything, don't run errands. I've even fiddled around with my medications on very bad days. But for that you have to check w/your MD. Perhaps he/she can give you a stronger thing for flare. It sounds like you are majorly wired today. Who can blame you? I've been there. Major sensory overload when it's hurting, Don't think about the future today. It will go back to being managable. Like normal bad days, not the Bad Bad days like today. Maybe it's the weather. Don't worry. We are all here for you. Pamper yourself. You deserve it. Heating pads help, if you got one. Sometimes I put one on my lower back and one on a shoulder, or elsewhere. Hang in there "butterfly". Now get off the computer and lie down, watch a stupid movie, or a good one. Listen to music if it helps. I care.
    Ranger
    A mom :)
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

to the pain you are describing. I was diagnosed with FM in July 2002, but have had it most of my life. I also have endometriosis, but right now I think the FM is giving me the most trouble in trying to live somewhat of a normal life.

I know what you mean about it being hard to be "positive" every day. To be honest, some days I don't really want to hear the word positive. I think some days it's okay to let out your feelings sometimes (as long as you don't take it out on others). I especially have a hard time at work since I have to act somewhat "normal and pleasant" while there.

I think what helps me is this message board, a couple of friends who try to be understanding even though they don't have this DD, and, of course, my husband. A strong faith also helps. Sometimes I pray for God to just get me through the day. I try to take each day at a time, although it's hard not to worry about the future. My husband and I have been working on our finances just in case I have to quit work and can't get disability.

I also try and take good care of myself by exercising, eating well, taking vitamins, and resting as much as possible. I also pace myself. The old me would zoom around quickly getting things done, but the new me has to pace what I do. For example, I no longer vacuum and dust the house on the same day. Too much. My husband has also had to do more at home to help. I've always had a hard time asking for help, but I'm getting better at it.

Anyway, hang in there and know you are not alone in this. Just coming to this board reminds me of this and really helps me.

Ellen

4. bibby

bibby New Member

On bad days when I'm hurting so badly I can't stand up hardly, I just take a Darvocet, an Ambien, take a hot bath, crawl in bed, pull the covers over my head and dare anyone to bother me. If my daughters call I just have to tell them I can't talk today and I look at my husband and just say 2 words (bad day) and he knows what to do. Fix his own dinner, help me with my dogs and otherwise DO NOT WAKE ME UP! Unless of course someones bleeding to death or on fire. Anyway I know this is not of much use but try and baby yourself when you feel bad and take it easy. Gentle hugs!
    Bibby
  5. achy

achy New Member

We come here looking for the understanding, support and guidance that we can't get anywhere else!

When i get depressed, which is at least 2-3 times month
    I try to think of my bad pain days as permission to have a "me day". I do what I need/want to do for me. Lay in bed if ya want...read...watch soaps or a movie..take a long hot bath & then order delivery for dinner and best of all..eat chocholate!!

If I can manage the pain, but just feel "oh poor pitiful me" I'll paint my nails (which I rarely do..bad hand pain) or go gt a haircut. Sometimes just being pampered helps.
    And I am a firm believer that if you look better, you'll feel better. No matter how bad i feel I fix up my hair a bit, even if it's just a ponytail and lotion my whole body and put on something purty. Then into bed lol lol
    Then, some days I just want to tell the world to go to HE!!

Keep positive...yeah right. get thru the day..one day at a time is all i can manage.

And remember...you're not alone. somebody is always here for ya.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  6. Thanks for your replies, just knowing I am not alone helps. I sure wish some drs. would find the answer to this dd and help us. Until then I guess we will just have to take it one day at a time and keep on keeping on. What other choice do we have!