Help...What is a reasonable pain med to ask for after Norco?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Mar 7, 2007.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Sorry for the rant earlier...Im feeling alot better now.

Thanks to everyone that applied.

Now I have a question for all of you. As some of you may or may not know I have been on Norco for about a year now 1 pill every 4 hours. It is just not doing anything anymore and I have been very vocal about this to my rheumy in all my recent past visits. I am becoming immobile again.

My problem is is that of course...I have a high tolerance to pain medication. Until about a year ago I didnt even know that Percocet was in a different class of drugs...I always thought it was what the doc prefered..vicodin or percocet. To me, they are chemically the same so I feel as though if he were to give me Percocet unfortunatly I might as well stay on the Norco.

Is there anything that is slightly stronger than Percocet without going overboard?

I have been on everything from Ultram (which did nothing) to Fentanyl Pathches (which I took myself off of them because I was only 22 and afraid Id have no pain meds to turn to by the time I turned 40!

I would appreciate any help that you could give me! I have an appointment on Tuesday and unless I walk in with some suggestions I dont think he'll do anything.

Hugs,
    Steph
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi steph--i'm not real sure about brand names, (dosage), but vicodin (hydrocodone) comes in different strengths, with the only danger being too much tylenol. If you are on the "10" already, doc might go to the 10/325 so you can take 2 at a time (for me, this gave me 6-8 hours of much better and consistent coverage than one), OR--if you have a compounding pharmacy in your area, doc can try a compound with no tylenol, but maybe dextromethorphan (sp?) which gives pain med an added boost.
    when i started compounding meds, i was put on hydrocodone 30mg/dex. 30mg, up to 4 a day, way to strong at first, but able to find my perfect dose.
    OR--your doc might prefer a long acting med like Kadian or oxycontin (lots of docs frown on the oxy. because it has become abused so badly on the streets.
    Let doc know one q4hr. just isn't cutting it anymore, you are becoming tolerant, which is natural. Some docs will ask you to take a "drug holiday" (no narc. for 2-4 wks.) and then start all over again, but any doc that understands this DD will prob. go with one of the other options.
    probably if you ask about taking 2 at a time, he will come up with the other options to avoid toxic tylenol himself, which would be good cuz most docs prefer it to be there idea! Good luck--L
    oh, just reread your post--a rheumy prob. won't do this but may refer you to pain management spec., which is what you need--good luck, L
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im sorry...Norco is generic Hydocodone 10/325. Brand name Vicodin does not market a 10 mg pill with 325 mg of acetominophen in it...I think theirs has like 650 or something. ButI know you get it...we arent stupid LOL.

I have asked him before if there is such a think has hydrocodone without the tyleonl and he claims there isnt but I know there is...but its a Schedle II drug. I dont know if he is playing stupid or he really doesnt know about it. Im not crazy about taking tyleonl at all daily because I got a drug-induced hepatitis i believe it was called due to too much tylenol. It went away on its own but it was scary and my doc told me to try to stay away from high amounts of tylenol.

Oxycontin is a little to strong for me....Im not sure about Kadian though...never heard of too many people on it, except my father but he was take 100 mg dosages...nothing works for him since he broke his neck 7 years ago.

Pain management clinics make sure that the first thing they tell you when they find out you have fibro is that they will not treat you with pain meds. Ive been to one and Ive called the others...so its hard. These private practice docs are all I have.

Thanks for your help,
    Steph

4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I just looked it up...it looks like you are able to buy it OTC??

Or is there a Rx version that you can get at a compound pharmacy?

Thanks again
    steph
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Long acting painkillers like the fentanly pain patch can be used in small dosages like 12.5 mgs. Also long acting oxycodone ER in 10 mgs. Sounds like these could be the next step to try.
    Mini
    P.S. I just realized that you said you'd already tried the fentanyl pain patch.[This Message was Edited on 03/08/2007]
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I have already tried the fentanyl patch its just that too many docs have told me that fentanyl is too big of a jump to make right now.

It was an old doc that didnt know much about it that rx'd it to me a years ago...25mcgs before the 12.5 was available. It was the only thing that ever took my pain away totally.

Is Oxycodone ER just extended release percocet 10 mgs? I dont know if it would work on me because im on 10 mg of hydrocodone and oxycodone seems to work the same on my body...unless it is different???

steph
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I just realized what oxy er is. thats what this stupid lyrica is doing to me!
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

every four to six hours hours with a maximum of 5 per day. I've been on pain meds for three years. Some days I still can't function and most days it takes the edge off. I just won't ask for more any more because what would I get if I had surgery if I was on more? I would be in some major pain with no where to turn. I'm going to a podiatrist today and that will be my major concern - what can you do for me in the six weeks post surgery?
  9. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I shouldve summed it up to begin with. I guess the kind of medication Im looking for is what doctors normally prescribe when Percocet stop working.