Help what medicare drug plan to choose, so many

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jun 23, 2008.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi all, I'm totally confused with all the medicare terms for a prescription drug coverage to add to part B medicare. I'm in Kansas and was wondering what are the plans some of you are on? Also I currently have BCBS ,do I have to take Medicare or do I have a choice?Can I decide to take medicare insurance at a later date? I just received my award letter this week and before I could question SS on anything they had deducted a premium for June from my back pay and also deposited my back pay into my checking account which I found out by doing a routine balance check at local bank.I was totally shocked ! Thanks in advance for any input on this. Blesings to all
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I have a Medicare advantage plan. For the $93.50 or whatever it is now, I get Parts A, B & C (hospitalization, doctors and prescription.)

If you don't take one of the parts now, then you pay a penalty (10% per month) for each year you didn't take it.
    I don't have any more details, please read the website or contact them.

They will assign you a person to help you sort through the choices.

3. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I have the same issue. I just was awarded and they dedcuted my premium from my back pay check also. My husband has insurance and since he works for a company with more than 100 employees, his insurance would be my primary. It also provides drug coverage.

I have just sent the card in to decline the health care coverage. I can pick it up again at the yearly enrollment times or if my husband should die or we get divorced without the 10% penalty.

You will still have the hospital coverage from Medicare with no premium charge.
  4. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I called BCBS today to ask about keeping my policy as a secondary ins. and medicare as primary and they said it would cost almost $600.00 in addition to the $93 or $96 for part B medicare. the SS office told me that keeping BCBS as secondary ins. was a good idea and the premium should go way down.Instead it went way up. I cant afford $600.00 plus a month and still have to pay for deductibles. wow i thought when I received medicare evrything would be a little less stressful but I spent 1 1/2 hour on the phone and still dont know anything.Also SS cut 2 years off back pay that they said they were going to pay and decided not to.I am so aggravated at the whole system.