Help what not to eat with Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angelstapleton, Oct 18, 2006.

1. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

I was woundering if there is food we chould try to stay afrom. I think maybe if I new what to eat it may help me some?
    Thanks All Bless you Angel
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Angel,

As per my title, I avoid lots of sugar and have little to no caffeine. I don't know if you are hypoglycemic, however many of us with fibro are. Sugar spikes up insulin and worsen the effects of HG and only makes you feel hungrier. Even if you are not HG, simple sugars provide very temporary energy and just aren't healthy. Therefore, I try to eat foods that are low in sugar if possible. (IE, low on the glycemic index.)

I find caffeine to make me nervous and jumpy. I try to eat foods that are truly healthy (veggies, fruits, lean meats, fish, high fiber grains, etc). However, each of us is quite individualized, so you may be sensitive to a particular fruit or vegetable. Some of us have interstitial cystitis for example and find some fruits (especially the citrus ones) to be too acidic. It's really trial and error for these things.

I also try to avoid nitrites and other additives if possible. The more wholesome, real and simple the food, the better my body seems to feel. One last thing: frozen dinners and soups are very high in salt. I try to watch my sodium intake too. :)

Hope this helps & Happy Eating!

Warmly, Erika
  3. angelstapleton

Thank you very much . I will look at it right know .
    Bless you Angel
  4. angelstapleton

Just another Thanks to every your all so nice.
    Bless all you
    Angel
  5. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Hi Angel and Prickles, I am already on a pretty healthy strict diet which I changed about 3 months ago. I am anxious to look at the website and see if I am doing it right. I HAVE lost weight, inches, and feel quite a bit better except for the weather changes which hit me like a mack truck. thanks again to both of you, hugs, Penny
  6. angelstapleton

Thanka and have a great night .
    Bless you Angel
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've found that by eliminating most processed foods that I do feel much better.

There's kind of an easy rule of thumb with this...if you can't pronounce the ingredients, they're probably chemically processed foods.

Potatoes don't come in a box, they come from the ground.

Cheese isn't powdered, it comes from a block or round.

Spaghettios aren't food.

And what the heck is a Rice Krispie anyway?

By eating just a simple piece of fruit for breakfast, I've had an amazing change in my mornings. And I'm never hungry again in the morning.

I won't have cereal again for breakfast because I did a trial and I felt much worse when I did eat it. So it's fruit and fruit only for me in the mornings. Or oatmeal, the kind I cook myself with some applesauce that I've also cooked myself.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  8. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Do you find yourself avoiding certain foods? Do you buy tomatoes, green peppers, etc., then find you don't eat them? (These are just examples.) Trust your body in this respect. Avoid them or eat them in very small quantities.

I never knew what a "night shade" was until I read a post. Night shades are plants that include tomatoes, peppers, potatoes (yes, potatoes), egg plant, etc. Do an internet search and you'll find a list.

I don't mean to solely pinpoint night shades. It's just that your body will "tell you" if it doesn't like something. You'll buy it, then not want eat it.

I can just think of certain foods and feel nauseated. Ever had that feeling? Trust it.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
  9. homesheba

homesheba New Member

have noticed that if i drink alot of diet coks i will about die the next day...
  10. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Angel:

As i have seen from the replys many of us agree about the sweetner, splenda apartame, don't fi=orget about MSG which is in many boxed processed foods.

Listening to your body is key, I have found that I need a combo fo protein in the am and complex carbs (good carbs) to get the engines going...If you drink coffee decrease. I have found that 1-2 cups for me is okay, but I switch to herbal teas such as rasberry, bluberry, chamomille and other non caffeine teas with honey in it by early afternoon. Water uis essential...when lacking water we become fatigued.

For me Leafy dark greens are adialy must have, also tomatoes, brown rice, banannas any fresh fruit that is in season.

I eat small frequent meals/snacks that I try to keep nutrious, stay away from diet soda...Really bad for FM/CFS.

Hope this adds to your collection and helps you sort through what wiil work for you...

Suz45