Help! What's wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hummel, Apr 27, 2003.

1. hummel

hummel New Member

I am a 31 year old female and have been suffering from intense joint/muscle pain for the last five weeks. It started after a stressful week at work and on the same day I laid out in the sun. My doctor still feels that it is a "virus" because my bloodwork is fine. The pain varies in intensity and travels quite frequently. When it first started, I ended up in the ER because I could hardly walk. Mostly the pain felt like it was all my joints (knees, elbows, wrists, hips) but now it's more muscular (hips, thighs, lower back, arms). My doctor has given me two packs of prednisone that work like a charm as soon as I take the meds, but when I stop, I can gradually feel the pain come back. Celebrex and Bextra do absolutely nothing. My doctor says that if I had FM, the prednisone would not work either. I am seriously thinking of visiting a rhumatologist in Chicago though this is a 2 hour drive for me. I am so tired of not getting any answers or speaking to anyone who understands my condition--it is quite depressing. I remember when I first called my doctor and his secretary told me that the weather is making everyone ache. I felt like telling her, "No, you don't understand! I feel like I have a full-body Charlie horse!" Does this sound like I might have FM? How do I go about getting properly diagnosed and above all, getting some treatment that would steer me away from steroids (I have a fear of gaining weight)?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From the meds your doc prescribed that he knows nothing about our illnesses. Find a good doc who is more knowledgeable about treating FMS/CFIDS.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Hummel, welcome to the board. I agree with Mikie, you need to find a doctor that understands FM/CFS. Then you can go from there.

We do have a 'Doctors Referral' list at the top of this board. Maybe you can find one in your area there.

Let us know how you make out, and I do hope you have something that can be cured and not FM/CFS!

Good luck.
    Shalom, Shirl
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I would suggest a Rheumatologist for sure.They know more about diagnosing and treating our conditions of FM and CF.
    Your symptoms do sound like FM in the beginning.....it can be much worse~Yes it is sorta like an all over charlie horse I guess. I just know when i move around....either walking,getting out of a chair whatever.....every muscle in my being aches like you would'nt believe!!like a nasty flu....the all over body aches,weakness,etc. but its with me every day morning till night.I've been sick for 11 yrs,and it does'nt get easier~ As for the prednisone,it really should'nt help your symptomsif it were FM or CF.I don't think so anyway. I was put on that stuff for a period of a few months and it did'nt help with any of my pain at all.it just lessened some high imflammation going on inside my body. I demanded to get off that prednisone because of all the hazzardous side effects!You have to wean off that too.....just hope you know that.Otherwise you can begin to have some major problems with the health of your adrenal gland and lots of other things.(that stuff is nasty!!had I read up on that before I started it....I never would have used it!!period!)If your symptoms persist....I would surely get a referral to a Rhuematologist. It took many of here,years to get a DX~
    Lots of tests will have to be done.
    best of luck to you~
    Tracey
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

From your description of how much the Prednisone helped you, and how your symptoms came back when you stopped it, I do not think you have FMS or CFS, but probably do have some other Rheumatic condition. You should see a Rheumatologist ASAP.
    Best of luck,
    Klutzo