HELP, which is the best CPAP ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karinaxx, Jan 22, 2007.

1. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

i have my sleep apnea test-results in and it seems i do have some issues with low oxygen readings and more.
    i read a while ago that a few of you had some troubles with their CPAP m. so i would like to avoid buying one and than have the same troubles.

can anyone share?
    karina
  2. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

Hi Karina,

I use the machine the insurance covers, but I do use one that is humidified and use the nasal pillows instead of the face mask. It takes a while to get used to and is annoying sometimes, but I think it really helps.

I hope this helps.

Warmly
    maggie
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband has to use the face mask instead of the nasal tubes as he has allergies and sinus problems. His came up to the $1000 that insurance covered and it provides humid air. He's had no problems with it. Snoring and apnea has stopped. Yeah!!!!!!

Something to consider.......
  4. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

to both of you.any brands?
    karina
  5. JustinD

JustinD New Member

The machines are not really the issies as much as the mask. Like others I have the remstar and have had no problems. You might hace to experiment with different masks to find the one that works best for you but you shouldnt have many problems.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Karina,

I use the machine the insurance covers. I also have a separate humidifer that connects with my CPAP. I feel the humidifer is important so it doesn't dry out your nasal passages and throat.

The important part of the whole setup is your mask. I don't remember what brand mine is, but I had the technician at the home health store who supplies mine to suggest what she thought would fit my face the best; she fitted it to my face, and I use it. It looks like it has a thick layer of blue gel all around the mask so it fits softly on your face.

If you have some issues with low oxygen readings, especially with night, you may also need to sleep with an oxygen concentrator hooked up to your CPAP which will supply oxygen to you during your sleep in order to bring your oxygen level back to the proper level.

My oxygen levels are perfect during the day, but at night my oxygen level drops to 72 for some unknown reason. So, they added the 2 liters of oxygen that is hooked into my CPAP and now I'm just fine!!

I am on Medicare, and it pays for the monthly rental of the oxygen concentrator machine as well as the CPAP and humidifer equipment. My secondary insurance picks up most of the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay.

After you get used to sleeping with it, you will love it, just like I do -- I hope!

Sweet dreams,
    Janet
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I don't think the type of machine is as important as having a humidifier and the right mask. Cpap can take a little while to get used to but even though I hate having to use it I definitly sleep better with it than without.

I also use the Swift nasal pillow mask. I prefer that system to a mask that completely covers my nose because my nose seems to tickle a lot and I couldn't scratch it easily with a regular mask.

The important thing to remember is that if you don't sleep better with the cpap than you were without it after a few days then ask for a different mask or system.

Good luck,

Shar
  8. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

i am sick as a dog and cant write with both hands, lying down.
    thanks and i think i got it, mask and humid. is important.

love karina