help, white matter lesions on MRI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Darlenec, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Darlenec

Darlenec New Member

I had a mri done 4 years ago and it was good, then I started to have more problems with worsening memory and spelling, some days are good other days cant spell anything.

I would make up words to fit my sentences, more dizzy less steady fell a couple of times, scary, MRI showed white matter lesions on frontal lobes bilaterally, and also "four or five small foci of increased signal" it said it could be vasculitis or microangiopathy or a other white matter disease or "aging" I'm 44 years old with FM, i know there is some kind of brain changes with fm, does any one know what it is, when I looked up the diseases they didnt look good one was MS please help.

thank you for any help in advance.
  2. advancewithcourage

advancewithcourage New Member

Hello,
    I have celiac disease and this can cause white matter lesions on the brain. This has just turned up on recent research and is not probably known by many neurologists. Info can be found on some celiac websites. If I were you I would try a grain free diet and see if you have some symptom improvement.

BTW, the lesions will clear up if they are caused by celiac after the elimination of gluten in the diet. Hope this helps you.

AWC
  3. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Hi Darlen,
    You'r post just caught me eye so I read it , I have no ideal What it is, But do you'r resurch, (spelling) Never did spell Well, Just Wanted to Wish you good luck
    GOD BLESS
    CindyG.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

With cognitive problems do have lesions which show up, especially on fMRI's or Spec Scans. What did the doc tell you?

Love, Mikie
  5. J-in-Ohio

J-in-Ohio New Member

In a publication "Healthy Immunity" I picked up at my health food store a few years back, there is an article about CFS which states, "Many CFS sufferers are bedridden and others can only work part-time, if at all. CFS produces a profound fatigue state including weakness, swollen glands, fever, balance problems, BRAIN LESIONS, depression and severe lack of energy, lasting years in serious cases."

I read this long before I had a brain MRI (to rule out ms). My MRI showed spots or lesions also, which is when my dr. sent me to my first neurologist. He pretty much ruled out ms based on my other symptoms (or lack there of) but never gave me an explanation of the lesions so I just consider them part of the CFS.

I'm 44 also with mainly CFIDS, and secondarily FM. I, too, have some cognitive problems. Words don't come out right when talking, I read words that aren't there or see words different than what are there, and sometimes, I have a hard time stringing a couple of sentences together when writing, which is why it took so long for me to finish my disability application. This seems very odd to me now because for nearly 20 years I worked in a word processing department and did a lot of writing, editing and proofreading.

I hope the doctors can give you some answers.
  6. stagename

stagename New Member

because in researching migraines and MSG, i've learned that people who suffer from migraines can have lesions visible on MRI, and people who've been exposed to MSG can also have lesions visible on MRI.

7. she-she

she-she New Member

hi!
    This post really caught my eye as I too have lesions. My family doc has sent me to 2 different neuros trying to figure out if I have MS or not. I have had 2 LP's in last 2 years, both meg. for MS, but no explanation on the lesions. I have been on med. leave since april due to chronic daily headaches and severe migraines.(have migraines since I was 5 or so yrs. old) Doc sent me to Diamond clinic in Chicago. The neuro there says he doesn't think the lesions are caused by my headaches and that it's either MS or at some point in my life I have been deathly ill with a virus that attacked my brain. (never been that sick to my knowledge) My doc dx me with fibro a few yrs ago, but is not doing any kind of treatment for it. I was already takinf effexor and zanaflex and he says that's about all we can do for it. no mention of how to deal with the pain!! Doc in chicago says FM and migraine tend to go together. I rmember telling my doc about some cognitive problems, seeing words that arrn't there etc. as someone else posted. He told me maybe I needed to get new glasses!!! I am going to have to file for disability or go back to work soon. I just don't think I can go back to work and be that miserable all the time again!!! I have lost friends, almost lost my husband, and nearly lost my job before I went on leave. Some nights I just lay in bed and quietly cry and try to think how I can have a fairly "normal" life and face my responsibilities!! Anyway, thanks for listening! good luck and good days for eveyone!!!

PS. what is "bump"? i'm probably being dense, but i can't figure out what it stands for!!!
  8. jenunsa

jenunsa New Member

When I read your title I immediately thought of Celiac Disease (CD). I agree with what advancewithcourage wrote. I also have CD and I've researched it a lot and found that it can cause neurological problems, one of which is lesions in the brain. If I'm remembering correctly, the lesions are due to calcium deposits. You might want to get tested for CD--it's a simple blood test to look for anti-gluten antibodies. A person can have CD and be relatively free of the classic symptoms and still have neurological problems or anemia or just fatigue. The classic symptoms are diarrhea, bloating, gas, etc. I didn't have them. I had the less obvious symptoms.
    I wonder a lot if I have the lesions, too. I have migraines all the time.
    If it turns out that you have CD, going on a gluten-free diet will prevent more lesions from forming.

To She She:
    "Bump" means someone is replying to a thread just so it will be up near the top of the list so more people will read it. The most recent posts that have either just been posted or just replied to are the ones listed at the top of the forum. The more time that goes by, the lower the topic thread becomes on the list and then fewer people see it.
  9. she-she

she-she New Member

i figured it was something obvious that i was missing!!! LOL i'm not familar with CD, but i will do some research and maybe mention it to the docs.
  10. Darlenec

Darlenec New Member

I POSTED THIS MESSAGE THEN HAD TO GO OUT OF TOWN TO MY FM DR. I SHOWED HER MY MRI REPORT, SHE THINKS IT IS BECAUSE OF ALL OF MY MIGRAINES I HAVE, SAYS IT CUTS OFF MY BLOOD SYPPLY TO THE BRAIN SHE WANTS ME TO TAKE A BABY ASA EVERY DAY BUT DIDNT TELL ME WHY..

I TOLD HER ABOUT MY CONCERN OF LOW IMMUNE FUNCTION ALSO HAVING BEEN ON ABX 2ND TIME FOR INFECTED TOE FROM REMOVAL OF INGROWN TOENAIL. THEN A WEEK LATER FIND OUT THE DENTIST HAS TO REPEAT MY ROOT CANAL BECAUSE IT IS INFECTED AGAIN.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF CD I NEVER HEARD OF THIS? I'M SO TIRED ALL THE TIME SHE ADDED PROVIGIL TO SEE IF IT WOULD HELP TO KEEP ME AWAKE I TOOK IT TODAY AND STILL TOOK 3 NAPS THANK YOU EVERY ONE FOR YOUR HELP, IT'S REALLY SCARY WHEN YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF CHANGES GOING ON ESPECIALLY IN YOUR BRAIN AND THEN THE DR SAYS DONT WORRY.. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OF LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
  11. mindy

mindy New Member

does anyone esle get head ache pain on the right side of your head,l get this almost every day and it gets worse at night when its time for bed its hard to get too sleep from pain,and lam on pain meds and dont help them. mindy
  12. upnorth

upnorth New Member

I'm no expert, however, I have done extensive research and reading on M.E./CFS. It isn't uncommon for CFS patients to have the white lession, however, research indicates so far, that it is not degenerative as it can be with M.S. I hope your Dr. is able to give you an indication of what it means. Hang in there

-upnorth
  13. JimB

JimB New Member

Hi.
    What are Lp's?

My CFS or CFIDS started (or relapsed) in Jan. 2001
    One year later FM started.

The SAME night I was hit physically -Very badly- with FM,
    the Cognative problems began. In a short time -all of the symptoms YOU mentioned developed. They're worse than the physical symptoms.
    With me, there is NO Doubt that IT IS FM -
    and not MS.
    Probably with you too.
    (FM and MS have Similar brain symptoms,
    and naturally cause alarm and worry).

I was hit with a liver- Brain VIRUS 28 years ago. Physically it wasFAR worse than the worst CFS cases.
    Mentally it was even Worse!).
    I'll skip the decades of unbearable torture.

At that time tho, the Nuerologist's report stated that there were neurological symptoms, but was unclear as to the reason ... (before the Brain dysfunctions were diagnosed by a brain Dr.). ... and might posibility be early signs of M.S.
    It wasn't tho.
    It was / is the the work of a VIRUS. (which still flares into a relapses after cold viruses hit me, or one of the other other "triggers".
    The brain dysfunctions I've experienced give many of the same symptoms as the symptoms of
    different illnesses, but - I Don't Have those illnesses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    But now with the CFS or CFIDS and the additional FM there are some different symtoms (mainly from the FM).

Waiting for auto-immune testing.-and maybe change in anti-depressant, since it's not pushing me through anymore. Jim
  14. Darlenec

Darlenec New Member

I've been down lately and not on the computer alot it seems i sleep alot lately, cant seem to stay awake for very long, my eyes burn so bad i can barel see out of them but only at certain times in the day in the early morning and evening.
    around 5 or 6 my husband was driving the car and said that girl is waving at you and i could even see her all i seen was blurry numbers blurry.
    my chiro. did a test for antioxidants and said i didnt read any thing on the machine he tried 3 times told me i had to many free radicals and my cells were dying and that is probaly whi i dont feel good. he wands me to take this vitamin from LifePak from ADP has any one heard of it? i finally bought some yesterday i was so desperate my body feels like its dying, i'll let you know..
    than you for all your help got to get off the computer time to nap again , soft hugs to all...
  15. she-she

she-she New Member

Hi, Jimb!! LP stands for lumbar puncture aka spinal tap. And let me just say, they ain't no fun!!!!
    God Bless
    Sheila
  16. another_painful_day

another_painful_day New Member

When I was being checked for a tumor on my eigth cranial nerve in my left ear because of balance issues and also failing a balance test done by an E.N.T., I had to go for an M.R.I. That was when I was about 34. I am now 37. Back then the E.N.T. sent me to a Neurologist because although no tumor, there was slight lesion on the frontal part of the lobe of my brain and they thought I was getting MS. Heck, I had ALOT of the signs of MS. Sure enough, the Neuro said "I see it there BUT Since I have nothing to compare it to, like past films, well then Im not sure, so maybe and probly not MS....but yes I see it there....." and then he diagnosed me with Fibro sent me to a Rhuemy and he confirmed Fibro.

Here I am...3 yrs later...stomach problems, swallowing disorders, more forgetfulness and memory problems, confusion, numbing sensations thru out my body, extreme pain, slurring speech, depression, fatigue, focusing problems, balance issues, visual problems, weakness out of the blue when I am climbing stairs at times almost collapsing, etc.....ALOT worse than I was 3 yrs ago...
    DO I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE NEUROLOGIST AGAIN SO HE CAN BLOW ME OFF???? Not really...but sometimesI am very scared and most of the time I am soooooooo frustrated becuase I feel like NO ONE IS LISTENING TO ME!!!!

Good luck with your results. I hope you find a caring and wonderful doctor who will NOT disregard your health like I have been going thru. Im so sorry that you are experiencing some fears about your MRI.

-Diane
  17. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi, I had almost exactly the same MRI results about 10 years ago. It seems that the brain MRI results for Lyme Disease looks "the same" as that of MS. I had the test due to cognitive problems and it took them years after that to actually treat my Lyme Disease. Now have CFS FM and that awful complication of all of these, MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities syndrome). The cognitive stuff and the MCS are huge challenges. I guess the short answer is to try to check for the Lyme disease also with MRI and symptoms like you have. Good Luck
  18. Darlenec

Darlenec New Member

I called the Dr. to ask if she made a appt. with a neuro yet about the MRI and she said that she sent the U of U all of my records and all the neuro's would review it and decide what to do if anything. and call me or them back, but I will ask her about testing for lyme disease I have been wondering abour this.
    thank you all for your help.
  19. ClasiAnFun1

ClasiAnFun1 New Member

I had a brain MRI in May. My neuro doc called me & said I had numerous "white spots" that are abnormal for my age of 50, sucpicious of MS. Recently I was diagnosed with FM by rhuemotologist. My neuro doc said there is a high rate of FM & MS being linked together. I go for another MRI with contrast in Nov & if there are more "white spots" that would confirm docs suspicions of MS. I have had the LP & tons of blood tests to rule everything else out. It has been a very long process of investigating those white spots. I am very glad I have a very good team of docs working on me.
    take care & hang in there
    I'll help you in any way I can if you have questions about my symptons, etc
    d
  20. foxyartist

foxyartist New Member

Hi Darlene,

I had a brain MRI and I had those white lesions also. My regular Primary doctor scared me by telling me I had to see a neurologist right away. I figured I was dying or had MS. When I saw him, he had a funny (good) sense of humor and said "Why are you here?". So I said my PCD sent me because of the "white lesions on my brain". He said "So?". I confused and asked him what he meant and he just laughed and said they meant nothing - that I was fine. I couldn't figure out how that could be, then he said if he took an MRI of his own brain, he would probably have them too. I told him I thought it was MS and he just laughed and said I was fine and don't worry about the report. I should mention that this neurologist has VERY good credentials and he is also one of the original founders of the MS Foundation, so I'm sure he knew what he was talking about when he said it wasn't MS and that it meant nothing. My friend has MS and it was diagnosed from his symptoms and MRI, however, I think the marks on the brain of an MS patient are different, as they show up as actual "scars". Hope this puts your mind at ease!