HELP: Will short round of antibiotics help w viral Tests?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaded_lady, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

I want to be tested for all the viral things I have read here and Lyme.

I have read somewhere here that taking antibiotics will 'stir up stuff'. Should I take an antibiotic (maybe Doxy) for a few days before the tests to make sure viruses show up if I have them?

Or will an antibiotic hide the viruses? Or am I way off base here??

I have EBV (it tested low at the time, I don't remember if that was showing an old or new virus)

I want the best chance at ACCURATE test results.

I am convinced viruses have damaged my heart and caused many of my health issues.

I can ask my family here, I know I can't ask the Dr! :)
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I don't know the answer to that since I am not a big fan of antibiotics. Obviously you won't be taking anti-virals but just so you know that includes garlic, elderberry, mushroom extracts.

It is difficult to get the best, most accurate tests. Even the PCR ones are not as accurate. If you could push to have a panel done by PCR, I think that would be your best best and more accurate than ELISA testing.

Most insurance companies balk at paying for them since they are so expensive.

Maybe someone here will respond with how to get this done.

3. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

My Neurologist seems to be my biggest help right now. I see him every 3 months.

What is PCR panel? I will research if and ask him. If I can come up with a reasonable excuse for that particular test, he may talk with my insurance company.

Thank you for your help!
  4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

PCR stand for polymerase chain reaction (I think - little brain fogged - I was driving today).

It is a way of amplifying bits of viruses to create a diagnostic strand of the whole virus.

It is more accurate (or was a few years ago) than ELISA which I believe tests for the antibodies.

The panel refers to getting a family of viruses done together rather than individually. Like HSV1, HSV2, EBV, CMV.

The HHV-6 is not normally done but is a possibility for our population.

This will give you enough to ask your doctor or google.

5. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

dr. garth nicholson, last i emailed him, thought that a few days of antibiotics would increase the liklihood of bacteria (mycoplasma) showing up on PCR testing.

i wouldn't take antivirals....but i am no doctor.

i am sure you are aware that the mycoplasma tests have to be done at MDL and the viral titres at specialty or focus labs.

good luck
  6. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

What is MDL? Medical Dianostic Lab?

I thought i would ask the Neurologist to run these viral tests or an Endocrinologist that is in the office with the Neurologists.

Is that what you mean?
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I doubt ABX would have any affect on viruses; however, they do seem to make bacteria more active. When patients get neg. PCR tests back on mycoplasma, some docs have them take ABX and redo the tests.

Love, Mikie
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi jaded. i mean that medical diagnostics lab in NJ is where your blood should go for most accurate PCR testing for mycoplasma.

and Focus or Specialty Labs for viral antibodies.

if you want an HHV6 PCR test, ViraCor is most accurate by far.