Help with Allergies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I find that I am allergic to everything (mostly environmental, but I know I have food allergies)

Yesterday my husband was raking leaves and I sat and watch, and today I have a tremendous sinus headache and allergies are bad

Anytime I dust, wash the dog, clean with chemicals, garden, I always suffer the next couple of days with fatigue and headaches.

I take Allegra 60 mg 3x a day, but it just helps a little

I wear a mask outside and to clean

Any suggestions???
  2. skierchik

skierchik New Member

There are so many remedies out there for allergies that are natural or holistic. That would be what I would recommend, so that you're not adding to your toxic load by using OTC or prescriptions.

Do you have a vitamin or health food store that you can go to?? If so, there will be lots in that section to try. You need to boost your immune system. That's why you're reacting to allergens. I used to have flair ups, but haven't had any bad ones lately. I've been working hard on my immune system by taking a lot of antioxidants.

Some things you can try are Stinging Nettles and Quercetin. These helped me a lot in the past. Homepathic sinus sprays help me too...I still have to use that before bedtime. Saline washes would be good for you to, especially after you've been outside and exposed to pollens. Try reading/researching www.drweil.com and type in "allergies" in the search field. You might get some more ideas there.

Good luck to you,

skierchik
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Love your furry friend

He looks a little "mischevious" like my fur baby

What is that in his mouth?
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I'm very allergic to things airborne and otherwise. Back in 1999 after I had some allergy skin testing, they prescribed the usual Allegra, Zyrtec and even some Nasacort. Those didn't really help that much, but he prescribed 25-50mg of Doxepin, which is a tricyclic antidepressant kin to Elavil. He told me to take 25-50mg at night and it definitely works.

Of course there are side effects mainly just some lethargy, dry mouth and grogginess but over time I've gotten used to it.
  5. skierchik

skierchik New Member

You've got him pegged. Yes, he is a pistol and smart too. It's a bully stick. He loves to chew on them while laying on my bed. Yet, he's not allowed on my bed and that's the only time he'll get up there. Such a stinker!!

skierchik
  6. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

Hi :>) I have been dealing w/ allergies for years and what I have found that works for me is Zyrtec-D , and Nasacort AQ nasal spray. I was also on Singulair for a while and it was very helpful. BUT, I know that when ever the neighbors are burning leaves or whenever my husband's family has a cookout, I have to stay away from the smoke from either - it does me in every time w/ a bad headache the next day. I am very sensitive to chemical smells too. When I clean, I have to use the mild smelling stuff/ nothing w/ bleach or I am in trouble for sure. Everyone's body is so different and responds to medication so differently, but, I have also heard that Allegra-D is really good. My husband and his partner have been using some samples I had/ they were all congested, and they felt immediate relief from it! Good luck, and hope you find a mix that works well for you. Allergies can cause us to suffer so! LOL Carla