Help with CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Jul 18, 2010.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I've been newly diagnosed with CFS. The last three days I've slept about 18+ hours a day. Is their anything that can help me with staying awake besides caffeine.

I also have fibro, been diagnosed with that for about 3 years. Along with degenerative disc disease and chronic migraines. I am on meds for the migraines (topamax & nadol) and then Imitrex or Midrin when I do have an attack. Also, I'm currently on an antidepressant, Lexapro which has been working really well.

Any help with the endless tiredness?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I only have FM but did have a diagnosis of CFS, at least I think I did, but it has been dropped as it was thought my exhaustion was from the FM. Part of it was and still is.

I take nuvigil to help me stay awake. This last year my tiredness, sleeping longer, increased pain got to the point where I thought something else must be wrong like Cancer.

I had a sleep study done and I thought it would be the same as others I have had but it turned out that it just was not just the RLS and FM pain disrupting my sleep but Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I stopped breathing for ten seconds or more 51 times per hour. When the doctor said he thought I might have this, I said no way, but you don't realize that you wake up so many times. No wonder I would not get deep sleep.

I am on CPAP and it has really done wonders, the machines are so much better. Sometimes people only need a dental appliance depending on your mouth structure. That being said I still have the FM, the flares, occasional interrupted sleep from the pain. But it has really helped with the quality of my life.

What really surprised me was the fact that you don't have to be overweight, especially in women and the elderly, even though it is a risk factor. It really has more to do with where you carry your weight, the structure of your mouth and airway and mine are very small. As you get older, sometimes the more you snore, your muscles in your throat and airway get lax which causes the obstruction.

A good resource is where there is info and a board. I think the .com is the
    American Sleep Apnea Association which sponsors this site.

This may not pertain to you but since it is vital to get our sleep under control as much as possible, if you have not had a sleep study, I would highly recommend it.

Take care.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

works for is a sugar that the body normally makes as a part of the mitochondrial function (the mitochondria are the cells' "batteries")

the thing with Ribose is that it is a bit expensive and doesn't work for everyone......I believe that is because there are several other nutrients needed for mito. function and if someone is deficient in others then the Ribose won't work

also the antidepressant may be making you more tired.....finding an alt for that could help
  4. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I still sleep excessive hours, though not 18, but once I am awake I stay awake due to taking provigil and ritalin in small doses. These drugs have really helped me even though I don't have my old life back, at least I am not in bed all day like I used to be.
  5. Houdini

Houdini New Member

Check out The Clymer Healing Center.

They will have you get the ASI saliva test

Then they will figure out a plan of action for you. I just started going to them and am hopeful.