Help with chronic migrainesw

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gwenan, Sep 1, 2005.

1. gwenan

gwenan New Member

Is there anyone out there who can help me with my more or less daily migrines? I have been on Pitzofen which help with the severity but not the number of attacks. I have tried excluding lots of food but can't seem to solve anything. My doctor suggests beta blockers but I have very severe CFS and Fibro so don't know if it is a good idea.
    Any advice welcome. Thank you,
    Gwenan (Wales, UK)
  2. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

Unless you react badly to beta-blockers then I don't see why you can't take them. I take Inderal 2-3 x daily. It helps my migraines, my chest pains from mital valve prolapse and some docs are starting to use it as pain conrol for fms/cfs. It might help.

-michele
  3. quigmoore

quigmoore New Member

Gwenan -

Yes, I've experienced chronic migraines for many years. When they first came, they lasted daily without break for 8-1/2 years. I tried probably every possible prescription migraine medication on the market, including anti-depressants and beta blockers. The beta blockers probably won't hurt you, but they, like all the other medication didn't help me. Sometimes you can get temporary relief from the prescription drugs.

I have concluded that for some of us, migraines are a part of the fibro that we unfortunately have to try to live with. How to live a normal life is a real challenge.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT IS TRIGGERING THE MIGRAINES. If you have to, start writing down things that you think may cause them. If you are not certain, begin by retracking your day to see what you did or what you were doing just prior to it starting.

Did you have a good night sleep; did you just eat something different; did you just put on a scented cream, or smell a fragrance that you don't typically smell; did you just go out into the bright sunlight; did you go into a store or office with different lights? The list goes on and on, but if you are attentive - you will begin to determine what acts as triggers.

I know how hard it is to live with daily migraines. I am still working to try to live some type of normal life without the daily disruption of migraines. I get tired of all of the "solutions" people have to offer. Because migraines are very individual.

Here are some of the things that I know. I am finally learning that we each have things that trigger the migraines. For years, I've tried to push myself on and pretend that nothing was wrong. But there comes a point where you just don't have the strength to continue that. You absolutely have to figure out what triggers the headaches and begin avoiding these things.

For myself, I am learning that these are some of the things that I must be careful of: certain lights, bright light, loud sound, fragrances, scented creams, candles, incense, (many smells), stress, lack of sleep or exertion.

I truly hope you do not have to work for a living. Not being able to take care of yourself when you are having these only exacerbates the problem. I have spent years working while having daily migraines and it was impossible for me to get on top of them while having to stress my body with a work schedule. It can really wear you down.

Best wishes,
    Quigmoore
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

You might consider migraine surgery. Google the "American Migraine Center".

Good luck!
  5. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

It is wonderful for that
    I used it to break the cycle of headaches
    if you don't wake up with it your severity and frequency will go down
    Very good
    I don't know about beta blockers but this is a pain or migrane blocker
    worked great
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Hello, Gwenan. I see that you are new here. WELCOME!!! We're always glad to see new members. You will love it here. There are so many informed members!!

I, too, used to suffer from almost daily migraines.

I went to many doctors, and to a migraine clinic. I was willing to try anything and everything, and I did.

The majority of doctors thought that they were triggered to stress. I did not eat the foods that triggered migraines, I always tried to go to bed at the same time and get the same number hours of sleep, etc.

BTW, the bigges trigger for migraines for me, and still is today, is the aspartame in diet pop/soda. I can not drink any diet pop sweetened with any brand of aspartame. However, I can drink the diet pops sweetened with Splenda.

WHAT I FOUND THAT WORKED FOR ME:
    (1.) I started on a beta blocker. I could not take Inderal because it made me soooooo tired that I literly could not put one foot in front of the other one!! I ended up being put on Lopressor and take it to this day. I started on it about 20-25 years ago!

(2.) I also started on an anti-depressent. All people who are under a lot of stress, those working outside the home, and especially if you are a homemaker with small children at home! I started and was kept on Zoloft until my drug insurance changed and Zoloft was not on their list. Then I had to switch to Prozac. I was on it for years, until I read on this board how Cymbalta also helped with fibro pain. So .... then I switched to Cymbalta ... and I LOVE it!!!!

(3.) Another major thing was getting my hormone level checked (it's simple--a blood test). I worked with my GYN doctor on this.

*Once I got my hormones in check, and with taking the above two meds, I very rarely ever have a headache anymore!!

Good luck,
    Hugs,
    Janet

7. gwenan

gwenan New Member

Thank you all for your advice. I'll let you know if I have any luck. All the best
    Gwenan
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My daughter (31 years old) was having 5 - 6 migraines a week and the doctor started her on Topamax. She's been taking it for about 3 months and has had only 3 headaches since she started taking it.

I think she started on 25 mgs in the a.m. for a week, then 25 mgs in the a.m. and p.m. for a week, then 50 mgs in the a.m. and 25 in the p.m., and finally 50 mgs in the a.m and p.m.

abbylee
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I had 3-4 migraines a week for years, and then I started an antidepressant which helped immensely. Then it didn't...so I was given another which helped, and I also take a beta blocker for my high blood pressure.

A few months ago, a doc tried to change my beta blocker to another BP med, and when I was weaning myself off, my migraines came back with a vengenace! So, I quickly returned to my original dose of the beta blocker.

Without an antidepressant that is doing the job and the beta blocker, I would be in your shoes...I was for years.

So, I know you have received a lot of advice and I hope you will find the help you need. There is nothing more dibilitating that migraines, and when you know you will have them daily or close to, it just saps the life out of a person.

Blessings,
    Sue