Help with depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lifehurts, Sep 12, 2006.

1. lifehurts

lifehurts New Member

I have had FM for about 5 years or earlier. I was seeing a psychiatrist for about 2 years after about 17 years of previous psychiatric counseling after my first husbands suicide.

My husband and I divorced in March and all I can do is cry. I am on Cymbalta and Lamictal (bipolar and major depression) along with restoril for sleep, muscle relaxers and morphine extended relieve for pain. Still, I am unable to sleep at night and can only get about 2 or 3 hours of interrupted sleep during the day. I cry all the time because I also moved and have no one to talk to but my Ex who is still my friend. If it wasn't for my Rottweiler I would never get up or dress. She has to be walked at least once a day or she is depressed!

Is anyone on anything other than Cymbalta that is helping them with the pain and depression? I want to be able to sleep which would help me emotionally. I also am in more pain because of the depression and currently my health insurance has a $1500 deductible so doctors visits are out of pocket. I can't seem to find a shrink that I click with and I am weary of psychologists who try biofeedback that doesn't work for me.

Any suggestions??

Lifehurts
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

but I hope you can find something for your depression. It sounds like you are really hurting- you're right about the lack of sleep making things worse. My thoughts and prayers are with you....Terri
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

helps with sleep cycle . There is a product here called ZMA that many have found useful .

It really sounds like your antidepressant is not doing the job and needs to be changed .

You are in a TOUGH situation . I wish I had advice , but I do not . However; I WILL stop and pray for you to be led to a solution that helps you soon. Please let us know how things work out .
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I agree. Tough situation.

I have been depressed most of my life. Here are some things that helped me. I am not cured, but I am a lot better.

Therapy: I have had therapy off and on for about 26 years. All the therapy was from psychologists, social workers and other couselors.

Kaiser had wonderful classes for small groups on depression, anger management, etc. They taught Cognitive therapy which is aimed at giving the patient new ways of thinking.

Medications: The psychiatrists prescribed the meds. I have been on several antidepressants. They all worked for me.

Books: Feeling Good by David Burns is a best-selling book on cognitive therapy to fight depression. He has other books including workbooks. One needs to do the exercises, not just read about them.

If you come from an alcoholic home, It Will Never Happen to Me by Claudia Black is helpful.

I feel Guilty When I say No is helpful to learn assertive behavior. Read it years ago. Think the author's name is Manuel, not sure anymore. Can't look it up or I'd lose what I've already typed.

Sleep: Tapes or CDs on sleep/relaxation help me fall asleep and stay asleep a little longer than otherwise.

Groups: Support gourps or the 12 step group Emotions Anonymous have helped me.

TV: see my profile for this unusual treatment Prickles first posted about. Again, it helps, doesn't cure.

Hope you can find something to try here. Good luck.

5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have to say that I agree with your name. Life does hurt. I know you said you were going to a psychiatrist but have you ever thought of going to a therapist? I see a psych about once a month to make sure my meds are good and stuff but to have someone to talk to about everything that is my therapist. You seem so depressed and sad but you also said some of that is because you have no one to talk to.

Try looking in the yellow pages or ask you psychiatrist to recommend a therpist. I only see mine twice a month but so look forward to our appointments and I know that if it is a rough couple of weeks for me that he will see me before our scheduled appointment. Also checking out this board has been a god send for me some nights when I am just soo depressed. Reading that others are going through the same thing often helps even if I don't leave a coment. Good luck.........SueF
  6. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

i hope this helps. i take the time release xanax xr 1mg. for depression. i also take 40 mg. of lexapro for anxiety. i also take 80 mg. of oxycontin for my pain, and trazadone for sleeping. i just started wearing a very strong magnetic bracelet and necklace, and i seem to have more energy. do you get b12 shots? that should help with your depression. i'm glad you have a dog. pets really do help us alot. hope you feel better.
    carol,
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

17 years is a very long time to be seeing a counselor. But I saw counselors off and on for over 20 years, trying to deal with sexual abuse by my dad.

About 10 years ago I discovered EMDR (eye movement desensitization reprocessing). It's a form of therapy developed by a woman named Francine Shapiro, which utilizes eye movements, knee tapping or other methods of alternately stimulating both sides of the brain. It's very good at helping people process trauma of all kinds - war, rape, hurricanes, anything.

It works much quicker than conventional therapy and its results are lasting. You don't have to do it year after year after year. I believe it gave me my life back.

You can do a google search for EMDR - there's a main website which has links to names of counselors who have been trained in EMDR - they are all over the country. There are also several books out about it - you can get some at the library.

You have a lot going on - I hope this helps --

Mary
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and hope to hear that things improve with a solution soon.

Maybe you should call your doc and tell them you have no money today but feel you are in a crisis and need help . Often they can get samples of meds free, and can find paperwork to help you get free meds if you qualify .

Just a thought .
  9. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Moving is very hard and can really add to the depression. I just moved as well and it has caused me to feel depressed and have anxiety attacks. I too don't know anyone here and only have my dog. Moving is hard enough not to mention all of the other stuff you are going through.

I have to agree with someone else who said that it sounds like you should switch antidepressants. Yours don't seem to be working. The only thing that I can offer up advice on is the sleeping. My doctor recomended Melatonin to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. It isn't a prescription..it is naturally what your body produces that helps with sleep. You can buy it at CVS or other pharmacies etc. I never got to try it since my sleeping problem was resolved when I became vegetarian, BUT I know others who used it for insomnia and said it worked really well.

Hope you find relief and meet some people in your new area. Being around other people can really help lift your spirits.
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

hope things are improving
  11. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

It sounds like you have really been throughit all. Yes, life hurts but you have already see what it does to loved ones when people give up hope and go for the alternative.

I went to Kaisers Chronic Illness group, chronic pain group, depression group, anger mangement group. I got some good skills. Tools to interupt the negative thinking. The important knowlege that just because I feel something it doesnt mean its true.

Next I found a good pain inhibitor, nortryptaline (sp) and that made a BIG difference with my pain. That and methodone. It didnt remove it all. Nothing will do that, but it made it livable. I'm on celexa for depression and that seems to work well. Like the pain, it doesnt take all the deppresion away - nothing can.

Its also important to remember that we are human and humans get depressed and cry sometimes. Use them to make changes. I am using my anger to light a fire under my buns to change my life.

But contact is the key. Good old human contact. The support groups are a great place to start, but make sure you also start going to groups that are not relateed to pain and depression soon. An art class, volunteering at the premi ward rocking babies. Tutoring. A rotwiller owner group. And write, write, write, write. Get it out of your system and head. It sounds like you are a true surviver Sweetie, a lot you could share with others.

Get OUT of the house. Be with people so you get a break from your issues. I take comedy vacations if I cant get out. I go to video sites and watch stand up comedy, sill commercials and funny videos. I have worn out YouTube and Comedy Central dot com. Give it a try. And know you are not alone.

MM
  12. misskoji

misskoji Member

My thoughts are with you! I have suffered too with depression for many years. When ex and I filed for divorce, I cried for it seems 5 months every single day. And yes, it did cause similar symptoms like you are having. I couldn't sleep, making pain worse, ect.... I know how it feels to have no one to talk to. I'm glad that you could retain a friendship with your ex though. I LOVE this board. Everyone here is so nice! So you are NOT alone!

I guess my only suggestion for the meds would be a xanax or valium as directed. I know the costs are incredible for doctor's visits. Think of it this way, would you rather suffer like this for who knows how long, or ask for something for anxiety and maybe have your pain, insomnia, ect... hopefully relieved?

My thoughts are with you and I'm sending you big big hugs! Please let us know how you are coming along.

Deanna
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Lifehurts:

I have tried various things to stay out of depression from illness. I also take Lamictal and not much else except high blood pressure med and pain/sleep meds.

I have had good luck with the Lamictal. Along the way I have tried Paxil, Elavil, and Serzone.

I can still take the Elavil if I want it. I was using the med for pain and sleep. I d/c ed it when I decided to try Restoril for sleep.

So far, my best has been the Elavil.

Just my experience.

You feel better soon!

nyrofan
  14. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

I feel your pain, know you are not alone. We all have fought depression for different reasons. LAst week I couldn't get out of bed for 4 days or talk to anyone. I escaped into my bedroom and hid behind the door feeling desperate, scared and so sad. I am on 60 mg of Cymbolta and Wellbutrin together. I am taking 5 mg valium just to keep me from crying and after almost 12 days I didn't cry yesterday. Call your Drs. office and se if they can help you with pament plans and/or sample drugs along with rec a therapist for you to be seeing. I think that is imperative. You have got to break ths cycle the more you cry the less you sleep the more psain you are in. Keep walking your baby. I have a yellow lab and if it wasn't for her these last two weeks ...wow I hate to think being without her. Keep in touch with all of us here on this site it helps.
    Love Jessica