Help with exercise, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I have always said "exercise is against my religion"!! I have always hated the gym.

But, I've gained weight ( again ), and since I'm retired now, I thought I might give the old treadmill another try since I can go early in the day when I have a little more energy.

I've been at it for 2 months. I've lost several pounds, but the pain in my hips and knees is not getting any better. The doctor says that exercise will help osteo-arthritis and FM. Hmmmm, not in my case. I'm limping around most of the time now.

I walk about 20 min. on the treadmill ( not going very fast), and do several weight machines. Compared to what most people do, it's not much.

Have any of you actually stuck with it long enough to get better? I'm afraid I'm making myself worse, and that I might be doing permanent damage.

Your friend,

Kinsie
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Kensie,

I am new to all of this diagnosed on 1/25 with Fibro amongst other probs. I will say my pain doc recommended low impact water aerobics, walking, swimming..too bad I can't swim yet ;)...

I have heard positive things on the water aerobics, so it may be worth a try. I am sure your local township has a indoor pool this way it would be farily inexpensive to join.

love your friend,
    fun
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

treadmill. The water is the best thing Ive ever found. The Y that I go to has several water classes you can go into even if you cant swim. Those who dont swim like fungirl just stand in the 3 feet and Ive never seen anyone fall in the water in the shallow end. Im always in the deepest I can get which is 5ft where I go. I love the feel of the water on my body and the whirlpool feels wonderful when I get out. They also have a sauna room but I get too hot in there so I stick with the pool and Whirlpool.

Best of luck to you. Like you, Im overweight but in the water it doesnt matter what you weigh and your muscles will thank you. Just dont overdo or you will feel worse instead of better.

Suzette
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have really struggled with this one myself. I have a terrible time exercising.

Some ideas might be:

Try the reclining exercise bike or a machine that doesn't jar your joints.

Also work on resistance training, build your muscle mass up a bit like Prickles said.

I wish I had more to offer.

Sofi
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

The large exercise bands (like big rubber bands) that come in different strengths may also be of help after you've learned how to use them.

I've been recently using them slowly for the hips, knees, elbow & shoulders.
  6. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I appreciate you're input. I'm going to stay with the treadmill a little while longer, but if I don't see any improvement, I'll have to change to some other form of exercise. Pain, pain, go away!!!

Your friend,

Kinsie
  7. Calleigh

Calleigh New Member

I've lost around 10 lbs since the beginning of January just by walking a lot, and by using my 'Gazelle'... that's the only piece of exercise equipment that I've been able to stick with over the years.

I have to time my Gazelle 'workouts' with something on television, otherwise I'll be bored right away and just won't do it.
  8. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I appreciate your replies. I used to have a Leslie Sansone video. I looked for it last night, and it's gone. I think my husband may have thrown it out by mistake when he was cleaning out the movie drawer. I believe I'll reorder.

Thanks again.

Kinsie
  9. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Hang in here there Kinsie!. Do what you can? Build up slowly.
    I love water aerobics but haven't been able to bounce around in the pool the past few months because my foot still needs to heal in one spot and the sole on the water shoe does not provide enough support. Hopefully I can go back in a few weeks.
    I have been doing treadmill becasue I can keep it flat and controlled. Today I tried a group class called stretched and balanced. It suppose to be for folks who have stiff muscles and/or recovering from injuries.
    It was interesting. I think I stretched some stuff that had not been moved around since the 1970s (smile).
    Take care!
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I was an exercize-aholic my whole life (I'm 56) before I got sick about 5 years ago. I can still get out once or twice a week and walk the dog or do a very short cross country skate-ski outing. It hurts when I do this (upper back hurts when I walk, hips, legs, arms, shoulders and buttocks hurt when I ski).

What I do is take a half a hydrocodone before I do the exercize, and that helps take the edge off the pain. Then I come home and collapse into bed for a half hour or so.

Usually I cannot do much the rest of the day. But, hey, I'm getting SOME exercize, right? I also do a bit of yoga stretching, which is excruciatingly painful, but I relax in the hot tub afterwards, and that helps.

I feel for ya!
    Best of luck, and take it nice and slowly.

P.S. I find that just being outside in the fresh air, doing something hleps my mental state greatly!
    Mini
  11. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have been doing Tai Chi for about 4 years. I bought a tape with David Carradine and do just the "Opening the Gates" part. It is amazing how that gets my circulation moving in the morning. If I ever try to skip now I really feel it.

So if I'm feeling real bad I may only do 2 sets each of the 7, when I'm feeling not quite as bad I do 4-6 of each.

It includes deep breathing which helps too.

Take care,
    Susan07
  12. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I always love to hear everbody's input about what helps them.

I appreciate it.

Kinsie
  13. pearls

pearls New Member

I did pilates for awhile and loved it. I had a wonderful teacher who put me in a class designed for people with osteoporosis because the pace was slower. However, while guiding us in the proper postures, she also let us modify a pose or exercise so we could handle it. I can't partipate right now because of family considerations and the fact that it was about 35 miles from my home, so now I walk in the country with my husband. Yes, I know it is not the same kind of exercise, but it is a very good form of exercise, none the less. I'm not a self-starter when it comes to exercise, either, so even though I have a Denise Austin pilates tape, I haven't used it.

In the library section of this website, search for the article on pacing. I found that useful. There's also a more recent one, the fibromyalgia patient's guide to exercise. These are both very good.

We absolutely need to exercise. It is very important for every aspect of our health. There is a problem, however, with muscle breakdown during and after exercise. While everyone experiences muscle breakdown during exercies, the pacing article cites a study which found that fibromyalgia patients' muscles contiue to break down for the next twenty-four hours. I'm not sure what this means for us, but the thrust of the pacing article was on how to get the most from what energy we have by doing some activity, and then resting before we get tired or achy. That does pose a question for me, because I think we do have to push ourselves to some extent.

Pearl S.