HELP! With feet,ankles,calves swollen

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gmom605, Feb 25, 2006.

1. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

if i sit for at 20 min or longer from my calves down

you should see them there so swollen i can`t get up they

feel like there 100 pds each as soon as i try to get to

bed and laid down the swelling starts to go down why does

this happen to me ,Does anyone have this problem ????

and yes i do have fibro and bulging dics on lower back

already getting tender points injections every 3-4 wks.but

i`ve had this problem before the injections,,i was just

wodering if anyone had this problem,,,gmom,,,

2. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

sometimes those symptoms can be serious, I would call your DR. When I had that problem my DR had me go get a xray of my heart and a stress test for my heart.
  3. tonakay

tonakay New Member

are you on any meds that could be making you retain water like Flexeril does? Just a thought!

Hugz,
    Tona
  4. im having the same problems with the fluid,and im getting breathless and having the flutters in my chest.my doctor kept saying its due to stress,but i swear..last year i fell on my bed with what i thought was a heart attack.no one will send me for heart tests as im now labeled as fibro sufferer..im so angry.but this is my plan.

im not taking this anymore..ive changed to a new doctor and im going to see her next week,im going to tell her how this thing just strikes anytime,even when im not stressed.im getting regular sleep at night (i dont sleep in the day).there are heart problems in my family..brother had hole in the heart surgery,mum was told ruematic fever had left her with a weak heart..my other brother had a heart attack.so you can understand that im not a time waster (as ive been called by some doctors in the past)im really concerned for my health.insist on being sent for heart tests.i wont settle till i have them done.ill keep you informed on how i go with this.

kind regards
    fran xx
  5. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I get horrible foot, ankle and calf swelling too. I'm on a diuretic that is suppose to help get rid of some of the fluid, but I still look deformed.

I would actually would like to wear a skirt some day, but not looking like this. I look like I have elephant legs.

Tigger
  6. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

Thanks Guys!!! for your reply,,i`ve stopped taking

meds. my stomach can`t hack it nomore ,,i had gone to the

Dr. 2 wks ago and he said my liver was a little off so i

got scared and stopped the meds i was taking Liptior but

nothing else i guess i have to go the a Dr.But you know

couple of months ago i went to see a heart Dr.he didn`t

find anything only a tiny little hole ,,what do you call

that???? but he said that was nothing that alot of people

had that ,,so i guess he knows,,but couldn`t find any

thing else wrong ,,oh i remember he thought my blood

pressure was high but he was checking it with the other

Dr`s. but found out it was my pain that was doing that

my blood pressure and i check it every day and it`s

about 70/130,,70/127 but i`m also scared because the

problem with the heart it does run in the family on

mom`s side,, like right now just sitting here my ankles

are swelling up and tingling ,,,,but i`ll keep you posted

see how i`m doing ,,,,gmom,,,,
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This could be signs of congestive heart failure or a problem with your kidneys.

Hopefully your doctor will find out what is going on....

Try not to eat salty foods.
  8. Hope2Bwell

Hope2Bwell New Member

Did you have the swollen calves, feet, and ankles when you went to the Heart Doctor a few months ago?

My Dad was having problems with kidneys, which they attributed to him having shingles. He had a chest x-ray while at the E.R. that particular day, trying to get tho the root of his problem. Found a spot on his lung...He had been fatigued, lost weight,,,etc.. Went to a heart doctor in Memphis, TN because my sister knew him and could get him in faster to check out the problem. Used a a new type of full body scan. He checked out just fine. We had dodged a bulleT, WE THOUGHT.(Were worried about lung cancer).

Then, he ends of very fatigued, good only a few hours and had to rest again, very winded also. He quit smoking, (which he had done 50 years)because he felt SOOO BAD!
    He ended up in the hospital with congestive heart failure...just MONTHS after seeing heart doctor. He had actual test on heart. He then needed bypass surgery...turned out to be FIVE BYPASSES(I didn't know a person could have THAT MANY BYPASSES DONE!!!) WE THOUGHT he was in virtually good health because of the full body scan (That is, outside of SHINGLES....which were very painful).

Anyway, the way I understand it, Unless you do like the catheder(SP?) test of the heart..YOU CAN'T TELL EXACTLY HOW THE HEART IS DOING, TOTALLY. He SAW the heart doctor and checked out fine and then within months that wasn't the case.

Sorry this is so long...I am not a doctor, but I sure don't want you to have something serious that has not been DIRECTLY ADDRESSED by your heart doctor. So, PLEASE get it checked out. Possibly, my Dad might still be here if it had been addresses earlier...DON"T KNOW...in his case his lungs were so damaged from the smoking , they weren't strong enough to pull through. Maybe if he'd known about it earlier, he might have required fewer bypasees and could have made it ??????

He told DOC, "I've had a good life, so don't you worry about it if I don't make it!" I'm glad he felt that way...but it's hard on my Mom, us Kids, and grandkids he left behind.

Please at least consider calling heart doctors office and asking them.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care of yourself,
    Angie
  9. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

your are right it was the other way round 120/70 sorry

i was in hurry and trying to finish my legs were hurting

but Thank you any way,,, gmom,,,
  10. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

My calves are huge. Doctors have commented on it several times but they never tell me why.. I have low blood pressure and just assumed my blood was pooling in my legs. They never really get that much smaller. When I loose a few pounds they might get a little smaller. I remember as a teen having this problem also.

Hum
  11. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Do u take Ibuprofen or anything similar? I was before I was told it was fm. My legs etc. swelled up big time. Dr told me quit taking and dont ever take it again!! Swelling went away.
    Cindy
  12. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I know you are talkling to the person who started this post, but I don't taek ibuprophen unless absolutely necessary so that can't be it for me.
  13. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

well i did something today to see if it might help with

my swollen calves and ankles,feet i did some walking but

my legs seem to hurt more now ,i know they are not swollen

but they feel about 50 pounds each ,,, very tight and

heavy feeling ,,i went to the track at the school, i walk

maybe half of a lap couldn`t do it,, i`m not drinking any

caffine and no salt and i don`t smoke ,,,i went to see

the Dr. and told me i need to excerize ,,walk ,so i walk

,,,gmom,,,
  14. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

bumping!!!
  15. marw

marw New Member

This can be a sign of heart disease or kidney problems. It can be serious. My sis-in-law had this, but I can't remember what the problem was....she does not have FM....but it was to do with her heart. It could have been very seriuos but she caught it in time.

THe only time I have had really swollen ankles was after my knee surgery. I just kept my foot in a bucket of ice water for 10 minutes 3 times a day. THe sugery was great by the way....fixed my knees right up...no more problems.

Go to that doc right away. Don't take chances!

xxxxMargaret
  16. kjfms

kjfms Member

...thyroid problems? I have hashimoto's/Hypothyroidism which is the cause of my leg edema.

Best of luck to you,

Karen