Help with GERD symptoms.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by severina, Apr 29, 2006.

1. severina

severina New Member

Just wondering if those of you who suffer with this, could please help me and let me know what their symptoms, meds are.
    thanks so much.
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I also have erosive esophagus. I am on 40 mg. of Nexium and have been for 2 weeks. I am finally starting to do better, but having to watch certain things like onions, any tomato products, I don't smoke and don't use citrus products. Alcohol should also not be used.

You can Google GERD and find out a lot about it. That is what I did. I get a bulletin from Nexium with hints on what to avoid, etc.

I had a dry cough at night for years and never knew why. Sometimes if I bent over, drink or food would come back into my throat.

But starting in January 2006, I started with terrible chest pains and nothing I did helped with that. I finally got bacterial pneumonia on 4/6, and saw my doctor and he dx'd me with the above GERD. I went on Nexium on 4/14.

I was orginally put on Prevacid, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So the pharmacist had to call the doctor back and I got the Rx for Nexium. It has taken me 2 full weeks to even start to feel better.

Everytime I lay down after I eat, I get the chest pains, so I have to sit up for hours after eating anything solid.

You really need to see a doctor if you think you have this. I have had gastroparesis since 1990, so I'm not really surprised to have GERD, but I got so ill from it that I went into left heart failure.

The meds used for this are Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, and Protonix. I don't know of any others, but I'm sure there are more.

Hope this helps...

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I get the doc to write a scrip then I get the OTC on scrip which is cheaper than getting egneric.

I have been on it since it came out , maybe 15 years. It works great, but at higher doses can make one achey.

In fact, there is a link between PPI's and FM, they think or not???

Lately, I have been halfing the 20mg and using just 10mg as it works just as well they discovered for maintenance, and there are relaly no side effects. So for very severe GERD take 20mg two times a day, then cut it down as soon as you start to feel Ok to 20mg once a day, then after a couple ofweeks try the 10mg(I just split the pill which is OK) On dyas that I may get a little later on, I just take an extra 10mg, but rarely now.

Also elevating the bed, not wearing atight bra, nothing tight on the waist. No smoking, reduce caffieine and no fizzy pop. Theyall make it worse. As do raw onions>>>yikes.

Good Luck

Love Anne c
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hey Anne,
    Thanks for replying to this thread. I used to be on Prilosec for gastroparesis, but it never helped me. So I just let the doc give me what he wanted to.

Because I have diabetes, I'll be healing slower, so after 6 months, I'll find out if I can go on a lower dosage of the Nexium. They are capsules so I can't split them.

I'm happy the Prilosec works for you. I have finally had three good nights of sleep. I do wake up with a tiny bit of wheezing on exhaling, though.

Doc also gave me Bumex, a diuretic to take and I take that now every other day.

I have had problems with cooked onions. I hate raw ones. lol Any type of tomato products, but that seems to be easing off some. I admit I add about 6 cherry tomatoes to my salad.

Because I have diabetes, I have been using more Crystal Light. The Diet Coke drinks don't seem to bother me.

I don't wear a bra due to FMS and haven't for probably 9 years, unless it is a formal occasion.

Wish we could elevate the bed but it is attached to the furniture and you can't detach it. If I used a wedge under the mattress, it would probably slide to the floor. lol I sleep on two pillows, but I make sure when I lay down that there isn't anything in my stomach solid.

BTW, I gave up coffee years ago. I do drink caffeine, though. Giving up my diet soft drinks has been the hardest thing I have tried to do.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. severina

severina New Member

Thank you all for your replies, theyve been a great help.
    I have bad Ibs at the minute and a lot of acid reflux,and nausea etc, so I think I have this, I will be speaking to my doctor about it in a few weeks.

[ advertisement ]