Help With Missing Chunks of Time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ~Sibyle~, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

Do any of you have "missing" pieces of memory? I will try to explain. Lets say I am driving to the store, I will get there and park my car and realize that I have no idea how I got there. This is begining to scare me to death!

I was hoping someone could tell me if this is a Fibro/CFS thing or something more worrisome.

TIA
  2. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

that sortof thing happens to me all the time. over the years I have done a good bit of commuting (to school and work, at least 1 hr each way).
    more times than I can think I'll get there and not have a clue about how.
    I think part of it for me was/is the monatony of the same path driven everyday twice a day with no changes in senery...the other part is pure fog...hehe
  3. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I have miraculously NEVER wrecked my car. I am wondering if it could be some sort of siezure activity because I also get migranes and have a constant headache.

Scary!!
  4. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I to have missing chunks of time. I got in an disagreement with my family about when wwe bought our fridge, I thought it was three or four years ago come to find out it was over 10 years ago! How can I be the far off? Same with other things.
    I even find myself spaced out at times. I will forget totally what I am doing!!!
  5. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

But I am not currently taking anything for sleep. All I take right now is Ultram.

Wow, maybe I should see about getting an MRI.
  6. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I trained myself to think, "What is the most logical reason I might be here?" then it'd be something like shopping, and I'd find a grocery list in my purse.

It got so bad that I carried a list of my destinations on a piece of paper in the car. If I "forgot" where I was heading or where I'd been, I'd check my list. Sometimes I'd have to check my trunk to see if I'd already purchased my groceries or not, etc. Awful.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like it at first, but you can get very used to forgetting chunks of time. It's really scary at first. My family thought I was just teasing them when I couldn't remember things. But then they saw how I really just could not remember, no matter how hard I tried. They helped me fill in the blanks. They are much more understanding now that they know I wasn't kidding them.

Now I'm using my cell phone to blink appointments, commitments destinations at me. Love it!

Supplements have helped a great with the brain fog, but it still comes back to haunt me now and then :). A good night's sleep helps, too.

Hugs, I know how scary it can be.
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I guess I just have a really bad memory. I see my acupuncturist once a week, and every week she asks me, "So, how have you been this week?" and I have to look in my notebook to see how I was, because I can't remember. The only day that is clear for me is today, and if you ask how I was this morning, it may take me a while to get back to you.

I could be missing a lot more than I think though, because I'm housebound and don't really have people noticing what I do. Like, I'll find a cup in my room that I didn't remember using, or a fork in the pen holder. Once dad showed me some photographs and I had no memory at all that he had shown them to me before.

I space out in daydreams too. I get involved in picturing scenarios in my head, or my mind wanders off into little 'what ifs'. I notice it especially at bedtime when I'm trying to brush my teeth. I have to really focus on what I'm doing, or I'm in and out of la la land half the time.