Help with salt shaker for CELTIC SALT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sorekitty, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Well, after ppl here suggested Celtic Salt I have found I love it! I put it in my glass salt shaker with the metal top with holes. Well, at first I could shake it out easily but now it is all clumped together and won't come out.

What is the trick? Do I put rice in the shaker like they do in the resturants or should I get another type of shaker? I feel really dumb. Am I the only one with these problems?

2. sunbird76

sunbird76 New Member

Hi Molly.

You could use a salt mill. Just make sure it's a salt mill not a pepper mill since they use different types of steel so the salt doesn't erode the grinding mechanism.
  3. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

I love the Celtic salt too, Molly, but you're right, it's quite a bit chunkier than regular salt. I have a vintage glass pepper shaker that has larger holes than a salt shaker. I'd check at thrift stores or Goodwill for one. I think Target has restaurant type sets which are glass where the pepper shaker has bigger holes.
    Those would work too.

An old Texas trick (think humidity!!) to keep your salt from sticking is to add a little uncooked rice (maybe a half teaspoon) to the shaker. That's always worked great.

4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Thanks for all the quick responses. I don't feel so bad now.

5. cct

cct Member

I obtained an all purpose shaker in the housewares department of my local Ace Hardware store.

It is a small glass cylinder with a white plastic top. The plastic top has two sides. One side has large shaker holes with a little snap-down plastic lid and on the other side of the top there is a large open hole, for pouring, with a little plastic snap-down lid.

I purchased one shaker for course salt and one shaker for course ground pepper.

Also, I have kept a few bottles from spices (such as basil or dill) because they ususlly have larger holes.
  6. Meg1710

Meg1710 New Member

I purchased a glass salt grinder with a ceramic mechanism to use with my Celtic salt. Doesn't rust. Have had it for more than 12 months now and it's great.