Help with Sinuses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Slightly off topic, but how do you know if you have a sinus infection??

I have had a sinus headache for 1 week now. 24/7. Usually when I get sinus headaches, they go away at night - not this time

No other symptoms but this really awful sinus headache and no pain reliever is touching it.

Thinking about calling my doctor. Don't want to go in there though, too many sickies
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't know if you have a sinus infection or not. If you have a good relationship with your doctor, they might be willing to prescribe an antiobiotic for you over the phone.

But there are some other things you might try.

Have you ever used a neti pot? A lot of people swear by it for clearing sinuses. I used one yesterday and it did help. You rinses your sinuses with a salt water mixture, instructions are icnluded with the pot - you can get them at any major drugstore.

Also, you might try a decongestant with guaifenesen. It helps loosen mucus without drying you out. My doctor recommended this.

And I just got a new product from Vitacost - it's NSI brand, Cold & Flu Formula (homeopathic), very cheap - $1.99, and it's helping me with a sinus condition I have (I don't know if it's viral or bacterial or what it is).

I think it's best to avoid antibiotics if possible - good luck!

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I DID try the neti pot - last two weeks and honestly, I think that is what made my sinuses so bad

I think like the water gets stuck in my sinuses and festers, I don't know, just a theory

I may have to try the grapeseed extract. I have some supplement here that has it in it
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Wow - sorry to hear that about the neti pot! That's too bad.

You really might try the guaifenesen decongestant - it doesn't make you drowsy or dry you out, just supposed to loosen stuff up so you can get it out. Sudafed makes one, I think it's called Sudafed PE.

Take care -

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Are you sure its a sinus headache? Do you have allergies?

I can't help but I have had sinus problems since cfs.. and have found nothing that helps and I feel I have tried everything. When I go to the doc he says I think its an infection, I ask is it bacterial or viral, well he writes a script for antibiotics they did help for awhile but then started having bad reactions.

Have had a sinus/ear thing for about 2 months now have been in bed most of the week ..Its a miserable feeling. Not only the sinus thing but I ache all over, off balance , weird head feelings . Have been tested for allergies , all negative, wasnt tested for food allergies.

I am beginning to think mine is a part of cfs and is here to stay.

I did read somewhere to take apple cider vinegar and it would help the headache. I do drink apple cider vinegar with water daily but can't tell it has helped . Of couse I am one that if it doesn't work right away I tend not to stay with it.

Sorry, I can't help but sure can relate if it is sinus. Oh, my doc did say to take ibuprophen as it helps with inflammation.. Keep me posted.