Help with stuffy nose

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Oct 30, 2005.

1. namow

namow New Member

I need your HELP, I have a horrible cold and my nose is soooooo stuffed up, I can't breathe and my nights are miserable.
    Saturday and Sunday night I used AFRIN (I know is not a good idea) so I could have a semi decent night but today I feel so bad
    PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPP!
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

drinks a little warm brandy befor bed and this clears up his nose.

Also mine but I dont catch much thank goodness I have enough with all the other things I have.

Hope it helps.

Sue
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Get some warm salt water and spritz it up your nose. I have a badly deviated septum and I've found this works for me.
  4. MerrimackRiver

MerrimackRiver New Member

So sorry you feel so bad. Please stay away from AFRIN. My mother had a terrible time getting off of it. Can't do anything with the rebound. I use a humidifier ... Vicks just under my nose ... and the other ideas that are shown are also great. Good Luck and hopefully passes quickly.

merri
  5. namow

namow New Member

I wonder if I need a prescription for it???
  6. MerrimackRiver

MerrimackRiver New Member

I understand Flonase is a prescription. My son uses it and works just fine for him.

I hope you get some badly needed sleep tonight.

Hugs from Merri
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

You can rub a dot of Vicks Vapo Rub on the tip of your nose (not in your nostrils) so you can breathe it -- or just rub it on your chest and you still smell it. It's that smell of menthol that opens your nasal passages.
  8. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I find that plain salt water works pretty good unless I have a real bad cold. If you do use a spray make sure you replace it often. If you use it often and don't replace it you are going to re-infect your sinus cavity over and over again. If I have a nasty cold I use it for the duration of the cold and throw it away. Also be careful of prescription nasal sprays, read some of the side effects and one is candida; yeast infection. There are sterioids in these buggers and it may lower your immune function and you could go from a bacterial infection to a yeast. Been there; not nice. Try a eucalyptus essential oil - be careful not to let it get into your sinus's, will sting pretty bad. This works well when you boil water, put it in a bowl, add a few drops, try tea trea oil also, and put your head over the bowl and cover you head with a towel, just enjoy the warmth and breath deeply. Try it.
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Just put boiling water in the sink or a pan and cover your head with a towel,hold over hot water and breathe.Within minutes your nose will open. No drugs and use as often as you like.
    Shirley
  10. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

This works for me:
    *Doctor prescribed Profen II (decongestant, 2 daily. I only take it when I can tell a stuffy nose is coming on).
    *Snort warm salt water 2x daily (it sounds disgusting but it works!!)
    *Last, but not least, Breathe Right nasal strip at bedtime. A lot of NFL players wear them on game days to help them breathe.

Good luck,
    Sheila
  11. namow

namow New Member

My doctor said I have a sinus infection, water in ears and bronchitis, so I'm absolutely miserable.
    Thank you for your tips, I'm trying some and see if I can sleep.
    *Cross your fingers*
    You are so great!!!!
  12. simka

simka New Member

I hate nasal congestion and fight it regularly, so I wish you good luck.

Good suggestion already made here is to clear your nasal passages with a saline solution, homemade or a version like Ocean that they sell at the drugstore. My allergist said this is good to do anytime but especially before taking a nasal spray either RX or like Afrin. Steam also good. I always used to like Vicks or something with mentholatum when I had a cold.

About Afrin - I had horrible rebound experiences when I first used it many years ago for bad congestion, so I stayed away from it. My current doctor said that rebound effects don't happen if it's only used at night for 2 puffs, instead of 2 times a day. My experience is he's right! This helps my sleep a lot since I can count on relief from congestion during sleep hours. If you only use it as suggested at night this may not be your problem.

Also - less congestion if you are more upright. If you can't sleep laying down try propping yourself up in bed or in a recliner to help keep your nasal passages clear.

Over the counter decongestant is Sudafed (pseudoephedrine). This can affect sleep so it is better to use in daytime. Last time I got this it had to be purchased at the counter but still no prescription. There is a new type of Sudafed, PE I think, that is on the shelves. I think I read that they changed the rules because in some places people would buy the regular type to make some type of illegal drug. I haven't tried the new version yet and am in no rush to.

Last idea - acupressure. I can't remember or explain where, but at a very bad point I found some explanation on the internet and tried a couple of pressure points, a couple on face and one or two elsewhere that may have helped me. I wish I could remember what they are.

I hope you feel better soon.

Simka
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been miserable too lately and I don't have a cold. I've had blood in my nose from dryness and finally hubby got the console humidifier set up and it is running now.

After dinner I took some Sudafed Sinus capsules (2) and even though it raised my sugar, I feel much better and the humidifier is finally running.

We get our console humidifiers at Sears they are about $120 not on sale and are heavenly in the winter time. I can't live without one then.

Both my husband and son have had bad colds/coughs and I really think the humidifier will help both of them. I have terrible sinus problems due to the dryness of the heat running and lack of humidity in the house.

I know how you feel and I hope you will be feeling better. My nose has gotten spoiled. lol

Big hugs,
    Faye