help write Story 2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shannonsparkles, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Kari pushed her long, whispy bangs behind her ear. Her eyes were fixed on the pink piece of paper that was in her hand, her homework assignment for the day. She scanned the last few lines of the poem as she turned onto the walkway of her house. The more she studied it now, on the walk home, the quicker it would be to get it done later.

"Two roads diverged in a wood," the poem said, "and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Huh. Huh?

Her rubber-soled shoes slapped on the warm concrete as she neared the door. She could smell the house's wildflower border in the breeze. She chewed her lip over that last line. "That has made all the difference," Kari mumbled to herself. "Being different made the difference?"

'Oh well,' she thought, reaching for the doorknob. "What do you think is the meaning of this poem?" was the main question on the paper. There was no wrong answer for that! She smiled.

Just as she was about to turn the doorknob...
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

her Best friend Maggie came running up the walk! "Hey Kari" she said " Want to go to the park and play frisbee for awhile?",,,,Kari said "I Have to check in with my Mom first and grab an after school snack" Heading to the park sounded like alot of fun to Kari,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,She couldn't get the last line of the poem out of her head though,,,,,,,,

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

on the grassy field they used to call the bald spot, Kari still couldn't get Frost's famous poem out of her head. She threw the frisbee to Maggie and then had an idea.

"Hey, Maggie. Remember when we were kids and we used to play in the Johnson woods, over there on the other side of the park?"

Maggie threw the frisbee back.

"Yeah. That was a scary place. I haven't been in those woods in ages."

"Isn't there a place where two paths meet? One is all worn and the other is faint?" Kari asked. "How about we go check them out? Maybe nothing's changed."

This time, Maggie didn't throw the frisbee back.

The two friends headed across the bald spot for the woods.

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

"Wheres your sense of Adventure Kari?" "Lets Go in there and find out what we are afraid of!",,,,,,,,,,,,,So the girls forged ahead feeling Fear and Curiosity,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All of a sudden....
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

back there. All of a sudden I was faced with a decision. Behind us, I wanted to say, back there is where my sense of adventure was.

I had heard the less travelled path lead straight to the abandoned house. Did the poet intend on this?.....I think not, but Maggie kept pressing,....and pressing.

My Father, before he passed, instilled an overdose of caution in me.

Should we do this?

You know what Magg, let's go. Caution never helped Dad.
    Who would be right, my Father, or the poet?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
  6. Shannonsparkles

and scratchy bushes started brushing their legs. Kari jammed the poem into her backpack to keep it form getting damaged.

"How far to where the path forks? Do you remember?"

Maggie shook her head. "It's been too long. Why did we stop comming here anyway?"

Kari bit her lip. She remembered. They had been really little then, and they wanted to camp out all by themselves. Maggie brought a candle, but it only made the woods look scarier. It got really cold, then really dark, then really noisy, then crawly... Then they knew they were lost. The light from the candle, and the noise of the girls' wailing, helped Kari's parents to find them. "Don't you EVER go in the woods again!" Kari's mom had said. Kari was so terrified of the woods by then that she wondered why her mom would even tell her that. Maggie got in trouble too. Was that why they'd stayed away from the woods all these years, without even thinking about it?

Kari shrugged, not wanting to remind her friend of that humiliating night. "Who cares? We're here now."

"That's the spirit!" Maggie turned and flashed her a grin. "So, what do we do when we get to the fork in the path?"

"Take the road less traveled by, I guess."

[This Message was Edited on 01/22/2007]
  7. Shannonsparkles

"Okay, but tomorrow you help me with MY homework," Maggie laughed. "Come to think of it, we only ever went down the main path, didn't we?"

"Yeah. It ends at 7-11."

"Gummy worms."

"Slurpees... Coke. Hey, got any money?"

"Not today, Kari. Just as well we're exploring."

Kari thought as they walked. "Maggie, you think it's true about the abandoned house being at the end of the path to the left?"

Maggie shrugged. "I dunno. Couldn't be so interesting if it was. I mean, it's abandoned."

"Maybe they left something behind," Kari suggested.

"Like what? Rusty, moldy mattresses, if anything. I saw an old abandoned house once outside Fort MacClaire. Falling apart. Floor was rotten. I wasn't allowed to go inside. Just a rusty mattress in there anyway."
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  8. Shannonsparkles

"Kari, that's mean!" Maggie gasped. But they both laughed anyway. It was hard not to pick on such an easy target. Everyone in class picked on Ethan.

The path was starting to widen out and the trees were thinning. "We must be getting close to 7-11," Maggie said. "Look." She kicked one of the many cigarette butts that had started showing up on the path.

"Yep," Kari said. "Teenager spoor. The road not taken - by us, anyway - should be right about here."