Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by edward411, Jun 30, 2008.

1. edward411

edward411 New Member

My name is Edward, but my friends call me Fast Eddie. The nickname comes from my younger days when I pursued life fast and loose. That is not the case anymore. I went thru chemo and radiation for cancer a few years ago. The cancer is gone but my life and health are far from back to normal. I have no strength and my body does not seem to want to cooperate anymore. The doctors are of no us and think that it is all in my head. Came across this site and wonder if anyone can help.
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I'm fairly knew (just diagnosed with FM) but I say keep looking for a sympathetic doctor. Read these boards, you'll find a lot of good advice (remember, though, we aren't doctors).

I've decided to try a lot of alternative options, but I'm still learning and trust me, it is hard.

Welcome, sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

3. poets

poets Member

Hi and welcome to the boards. You'll find a lot of useful information here and some wonderful people. Sorry to hear of all you've been through and I hope you can find some help. Stay with us. You'll be glad you did!

4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, or are you just doing your homework? I was on these boards for a while before being diagnosed.

I think that many cancer patients who have undergone chemo end up with long-lasting effects from their treatment. This is very unfortunate, and not frequently talked about by doctors. I have been doing some reading lately about "chemo brain", which is a cognitive deficit from chemo which can persist for years after a patient is in remission from cancer!

I think I can "kind of" relate. I have never had cancer, but I have taken a medication which is a chemotherapy agent, methotrexate, for my juvenile rheumatoid arthritis for over 12 years now. I really believe it is a huge, if not THE biggest factor, in my FM/CFS. At the very least, it certainly doesn't help!

Anyway, I hope you find some good info and support here. You will if you hang around long enough!
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Welcome to the board. Have you seen a rheumatologist?

I can certainly relate to being a Fast Eddie.

I was always active until this hit. But have found lots of valuable, support, suggestions, information from being here.

Keep us informed about your diagnosis and how you are doing.

Take care,

6. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I want to welcome you also.I have found this is a very friendly family here! Hope you stay with us.I have had a few friends that have gone threw what you have.You are a survivor!!Keep fighting your strength will eventually come back.The chemo & radiation has taken a toll on your immune system.It will come back in time.Rest when you need to,you've been through alot.As I've said before,some Dr's haven't gone through what you or any of us do.Everyone is different.When your immune system has been down,it sometimes takes alot to get it back to where you were before you became ill.It takes time and patients.So keep plugging along.We are here for you!If you need to vent,that's ok too.You'll feel better getting it out.We all need to get rid of our stress,it not only helps heal the mind but our bodies as well.Your not alone.Hugs,Robin
  7. edward411

edward411 New Member

Thanks Erin the welcome was very nicw.