1. denimdoll52

denimdoll52 Member

My 25 year old daughter has CFS and can't take any low dose anti-depressants - She reacts badly to all of them. Does anyone know any other medications that work?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Why is your daughter being prescribed antidepressants? For sleep? Pain? Depression?
    denimdoll52 likes this.
  3. denimdoll52

denimdoll52 Member

For pain and fatigue - the doctors here think that low dose antidepressants work to combat pain and fatigue and help with sleep issues, all of which she has.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Some people do do well with amitriptyline for pain and fatigue. My sister-in-law has FM and she has been using this for several years now. The thing to remember is that for CFS your daughter would be using a very low dose. It is much lower than a normal dose that is used for depression. Also, does your daughter get any exercise at all? I know for myself, if I don't get any physical activity, I don't sleep well at all. I have always pushed myself to keep active, obviously nothing near what I used to be able to do, but enough that I do sleep reasonably well most nights. I'm still just as exhausted in the morning, but at least I feel like I got a decent night's sleep and can make it through the day.
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

There are many different "antidepressants" used for pain but none help fatigue.
    Amitryptiline and Nortryptiline reduce neural inflammation and reduce levels of substance P as well as NMDA receptor activation. In fact amitryptiline is more of a pain killer than an anti-depressant. It is not a good antidepressant at all. When prescribed for ME/CFS or FM it is not prescribed as an anti-depressant. Most people react badly at first but the side effects usually decrease. The dose should be started on 5 mg and this can well be sufficient.

Failing that, the SSRIs can help as can the SNRIs but it is most likely she will react badly to these too.

Gabapentin (neurontin) works quite well at doses between 300mg and 900mg. If pain is a major issue then the combination of gabapentin and paracetamol (acetominophen) is quite effective. Gabapentin is quite well tolerated and assists sleep.

However you should also explore nutritional supplements as well. These can be as effective as the analgesics.

Everyone with ME/CFS should be taking vitamin B12. Along with other mitochondrial support nutrients the energy levels can be elevated. With elevated energy levels you can also get some pain reduction, at very least the analgesics such as gabapentin will be more effective.
    bct likes this.
  6. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

I slept 8-9 hours every night for the first 40 decades of my life. When I developed CFS, I completely lost the ability to sleep no matter how exhausted. What an awful feeling. Now I take Imovane 7.5 mg for sleep, and Gabapentin 300 mg at night to calm my nervous system, get rid of nerve pain and thus get extra help for sleep. I find this combo works well at night (although I haven't had a nap since about the year 2000!) Good luck to your daughter.