Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marinemom, Aug 22, 2002.

1. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hello. I'm new here. I've just been diagnosed with FM and osteoarthritis. I'm new to all of this and need any assistance I can get. All I know is that the relief that I found when FINALLY given a name for my symptoms didn't make them go away! Of course the tests that the dr's run on you are such a joy!!! =)

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who will listen when I want to vent and whine! If I get too bad, feel free to shake me (gently of course) and I'll hush!

Thanks for your support.
    Kathy
  2. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hello. I'm new here. I've just been diagnosed with FM and osteoarthritis. I'm new to all of this and need any assistance I can get. All I know is that the relief that I found when FINALLY given a name for my symptoms didn't make them go away! Of course the tests that the dr's run on you are such a joy!!! =)

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who will listen when I want to vent and whine! If I get too bad, feel free to shake me (gently of course) and I'll hush!

Thanks for your support.
    Kathy
  3. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Can we assume you are the proud Mother of a Marine? Something to indeed be proud of!

Yes, we can help you find some answers, support you, educate you and laugh with you and listen when you want to vent, cry or scream!!

This site will have everything you need to succeed! The library here has more information than you will ever be able to get through. They present it all and allow us to decide what we want to try/do/or use.

Please note the first post! It will take you to our Free patient's guide. Many of us use these to help us educate our docs, family, frineds and all health related people around us.

The site offers a Free E-Bulletin that is chock full of great up to date research info.

They also have a wonderful newsletter that you can order that comes out quarterly. I think it is the greatest!

The site is sponsored by a supplement company and I think they have the best products available and they donate a poprtion of all sales to research. So, it is like we get to help ourselves twice!! And if you use the frequent purchase plan or DSP, you can save almost 1/2 and even more on some.

I sound like a sales person for the site! I am NOT. But I am a firm believer in the products and love that they offer this site to us free as well.

Blessings
    Jackie F
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

As Jackie already gave you great advice, I'll just say welcome and let you know I also feel you've come to a great site. I was just dx'd late July with fms and cfids, and I've found this board a great source of info and comfort from caring people.

Best wishes...from a Marine daughter.
  5. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Thanks Jackie and Michele

Right now I'm still rolling around in self pity, but soon I know that I'm gonna have to get up and brush myself off and keep on going.

Yes, Jackie, I have a son in the Marines. He's been over seas for the last two years, and I can't wait until he's atleast state side!

I also have a 12 year old stepson here at home. He's a trial all by himself! But, life goes on, so I'm told!

Anyway, thanks guys for listening.

Smiles
    Kathy
  6. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Gosh, I guess I saw Marine and simply forgot you are needing some help too.

So much we can do for ourselves! In fact the more we learn the easier it gets. Don't get me wrong--I am NOT saying this is easy. But it sure will be easier for you than many of us. Why? Becuase we are here to help you with everything!!

Do you have a good doc that understands?
    The majority of us have sleep problems and that is a good place to start working on. Since lack of sleep does make pain increase. So without sleep, we have a vicious cycle going on. Many are confused; they think because they are in bed a lot or sleepy a lot, that it means they are just sleepy. But the majority of research has shown the we do not acheive the right sleep stages. And the result of sleep loss is increase in pain, lack of mental clarity--ie Fibro Fog--and many other unhealthy things.

Many doctors like to use antidepressants for this (Sleep loss). I can say from all my experience--this is a major mistake that will only worsen the majority of pts, and make their chance for improvement very limited.

FMS is NOT a condition of inflamation! Thus anti-inflamitores are very ineffective for FMS pains. But the majority of us also have Osteoarthritis and so they will give us anti-inflamitories for it. I urge you to consider NOT using them. Until you have tried more natural methods.

Many are under the impression that I am oppsoed to all medication. That is NOT true. But I am for using as much natural as possible, since we will be dealing with this for life. The longer we have it the more health issues WILL come on us--if for no other reason than age itself.

The more medications we are on the more difficult it is to try to differentiate the many side effects from the many accompanying conditions that can come along.
    I am getting to be an expert in this. I have worked with more than 10,000 pts and can see how frequently this happens to us.

Please be sure to read the many tips we throw out all the time. Often these may not be for you--at this time. But remember as many as you can. At sometime they may be needed. But we do share regularly these, so that others may benefit from where we have all been.
    Please be sure to share what helps you as you discover them.
    Often, we forget some of the little things that we do. And yet, it just might be the ONE thing that saves someone else from agony, that day!

Another great help has been, to remind members that they need to seek those things that truly make them happy. Then add, as many as you are able, back into your life.

Pain flees when laughter rushes in!

Blessings to you and I hope these are helpful to you!

Jackie F
  7. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Jackie,

Please don't think that you haven't helped. You helped just by listening! Among the battery of tests that the dr had done, they also found a cyst the size of a baseball on my left ovary. The results of the mammogram haven't came back yet, but with fibrocystic disease, I'm not looking forward to that.

Like I said, I just needed to whine a little. I have a husband who plays ostrich UNLESS it concerns his work and a 12 year old step son who is basically thinking he's an adult and can make his own decisions! Of couse, that led to him being held back this year in sixth grade again, but, hey, my husband says the kids okay!!! Go figure!

Anyway, I hope I don't get kicked off for whining too awful much. As for sleep, the dr did give me some Restaril, and that has helped a whole bunch. I was going to the Chiropractor for a while, but that even quit helping. For a while there I thought I was just loosing my mind! Come to find out, it's not my mind!!!! WooHoo!

Thanks for listening!
    Kathy
  8. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Just incase you have missed all the other posts on this.

There are lots of other great areas of this board that we gather to talk and do things.

If you look at the middle of the upper part of the page.
    A section with 5 sections:

Post View Post Message Boards something else

Click on Message Boards: It will open up another world to you! hee hee Most Like the Chit Chat board. This is a fun place where they vent, laugh, talk about anything, just be silly and many enjoy discussing Books, Movies, TV, Great Castles and a ton of things.

Do NOT confuse it with the Chat Room--that is different and live..Some really like this--but not the majority of us. It is too fast, seems to trigger problems for many of us.
    There is a writers board, aslo a Worship board and much more.

Please explore! We are all here to support & uplift each other.

Jackie F
  9. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Question for you? What are they doing for your cyst? Most of the cysts I've gotten on my ovaries would "burst" shortly after or right before my cycle. The pain is very sharp & intense, but you feel relief afterwards. If this happens, you should call your doctor, they might want to do a sonogram & make sure fluid reabsorbs quickly.

The only time I had to have one removed laparoscopically is when it was pressing on nerve and causing a lot of pain, and wasn't responding to medication.

Luckily, I didn't have fms at the time. So I feel for you. Let us know how you're doing. Michele
  10. MarilynK

MarilynK New Member

Wanted to welcome you to us,
    these people are great and supportive
    and there is alot of info here.
    Glad you found us.
    God bless

Marilyn (Norway)
  11. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hi Marilyn. Thanks for the welcome. Michele, the dr is not doing anything about the cyst right now. Unless it really starts to bother me, he's leaving it alone. I don't know, maybe I'll name it, get a SS# for it and use it as a tax deduction! =) Wouldn't that be great!!

Anyway, thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Smiles
    Kathy
  12. jeanann

jeanann New Member

that is really good kathy. Perhaps I could get my fibro and IC SS# and claim them as dependents LOL Welcome to the board. I am new here also. For me its my attitude that counts for 90% of my problems. There is a book called "Fibromyalgia: What your doctor may not be telling you". When I first read it I did not like the idea. However I recently began taking the suggestions in this book and I am experiencing some progress. For me I like being proactive. Getting in there and doing something positve for myself makes me feel like I have some control over this disaease.
    Welcome again and I hope you find what you need here.
    ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
    jean ann
  13. GEC

GEC New Member

I just wanted to say hello and welcome! You have found a great place! it looks like you are getting lots of help already. everyone here is so supportive.
    take care.

gail
  14. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hi Gail

Yeah, it feels like I've come to the VERY RIGHT place. Thanks to all!

Smiles
    Kathy
  15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Kathy, welcome to our world. You have already recieved so much good advice, I just stopped to welcome you too.

Shalom, Shirl
  16. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

SS # - tax deduction...what a creative mind you have!

I mentioned about the cyst bursting b/c my sister-in-law had that happen & she panicked; wanted you to know if it did it was a normal thing. My son was very helpful one time,,,he jumped on me (he was 3) & pain/poof,,,the cyst was gone. Not recommended by medical profession, but hey, it worked...lol

Sounds like you have a great attitude,(you didn't sound whiny to me) and that's 3/4 of the battle with these DDs.

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that. Michele
  17. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hey Michele

You might consider renting out your young "dr". Just think, you could make a little extra income, with NO effort on your part, and you would be saving ME a heck of a lot of money!!

Well, Just a thought!!! =)