HelpAmerican Abbreviation Game

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Dec 28, 2006.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Please help us poor ill-educated people,LOL(sorry,I think that means Laugh Out Loud,LOL) that live outside the USA(I should probably say United States of America,to avoid any confusion).
    I've noticed a few abbreviations on the Board in the past few days such as DH & DD,and don't really know what they mean.
    I can guess but are they something to do with Daring/Dreadful Hubby's or Dreadful Diagnosis',or whatever,please let me know.
    Please add any other abbreviations we should know,of course,funny one's will be most welcome.
    I've added a few below that you can PAYL,sorry again,I mean't to say Peruse At Your Leisure.

BBC-British Brainwashing Corporation

WAG's-Wives And Girlfriend's,as in when referring to men's partner's(such as the American Ryder Cup team & their WAG's)

US ARMY-Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet,so say the detainees at Guantanomo Bay.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Yes, indeedy, you are doing a splendid job in interpreting the abbrevs. (This is the same singing group that was formerly known as the Supremes.)

DD is Dear Husband or Dear Daughter or Darned Disease according to the context. Just put on your thinkin kilt, I mean your thinking tam, and you'll be able to figure it out.

3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Thanks for the info.You're right of course when you say thinking tam,because in Scotland as you know a tam(or tammy) is also known as a cap or hat.As in get your "thinking cap" on.Did you also know that Tam is also short for Thomas.As in "Doubting Thomas" could be "Doubting Tam" if he was Scottish,LOL.

Here are some more abbreviations for you,with a medical theme:

GFPO-Good For Parts Only

FOS-Full Of Sh.........Stool,LOL.

I bet this last one is all over my medical notes:
    ATSWWT-Always Think's Something's Wrong With Them.LOL.

Please add some more funny abb's,sorry abbreviation's.
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've searched and bumped the thread before on the Fibro board but didn't see it when I searched this morning on the chat board.

Try a search for 'list of abbreviations' on the Fibro side and see if it pops up for you.

Nancy B
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've bumped it for you on the Fibromyalgia board.

Nancy B
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Thanks for that Nancy.Sometimes difficult to recognise some of the Americanisms & abbreviations for diseases etc.Much appreciated.
    Hope you had a good New Year,mines turned out quite quiet last night as Scotland had gales & torrential rain.The main street parties in Glasgow & Edinburgh were cancelled.I was supposed to go to the pub last night but didn't bother,just watched the traditional Scottish celebrations on telly.
    TTFN(thanks for that one Ali,haha)
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I had a lovely New Year's Eve sleeping the night away although the beautiful fireworks were going off all around me.

Here in Germany it seems as if everyone has a fireworks display and the results are stunning and all around.

Oooops, I missed it again!

Nancy B