HelpAnxious over upcoming Stress Test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yjswan, Dec 17, 2006.

1. yjswan

yjswan New Member

My GP has ordered a stress test for me and I am very anxious about it. I am worried I will suffer a flare of FMS symptoms following it. I am 54, overweight, and also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am also a smoker. He ordered this test because I presented with break through symptoms of acid reflux (on Prilosec) which include gas pain in my chest and arms. I have been through this before and know my own body--it's reflux--but he wants to rule out heart problems. He did an EKG in office that was normal.

My question and anxiety: Has anyone else with FMS had a stress test and did it bring on a flare? Were you able to get through it on your own or did they have to chemically induce your adrenalin?

Thanks for any help.

Yvonne
  2. Line

Line New Member

I am wondering the same thing you are. I was schelduled for the chemical stress test two weeks ago, went and the receptionist was so smart mouthed I walked out. Than I schelduled for this Weds. at our local hospital and cancelled until Jan. 8 th.

I am having so much anxiety about the test, the outcome and also the flares.

I have acid reflkux also and get a lot of gas and pain below the breasts, into them and above, but always have those spots when you push on them it hurts more. I know I could not do the treadmill without flaring.

Hugs and good luck, Linda
  3. Pat-45

Pat-45 New Member

Hi Yvonne,

I have had several stress tests, and will probably be having another fairly soon. I am 50, overweight, hypertensive, FM,CFS, asthma,and a whole boatload of "alphabet soup".

The test itself isn't too bad. I think we do more harm by worrying about it than taking it. I don't know about you, but mental/emotional stress does a huge job on my physical symptoms.

Easy to say I know...but ...try not to freak out about the test. It's less than 10 minutes, and will be over before you know it.

The only real problem I had afterward was a bad asthma attack, so have to be sure to use my inhalers before hand.

Your chest/arm pain MAY be from your reflux....but... it just might not be. You never know.(my 49year-old brother just had a heart attack,no warning)

Please take good care, and good luck, Pat
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have had 3 stress tests since I was diagnosed and I do understand your concern. Mine went well, and I did not have a flare after any of them. A couple of times, I had the IV and the Nuclear Scan along with it.
    You are not on the treadmill very long; it depends on now much you can do and you can stop if you need to,although they encourage you to reach your maximum rate.
    I,too,have bad refuLlx and it is reassuring to know that my heart is OK.

Kathy[This Message was Edited on 12/18/2006]
  5. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

I can't do a regular treadmill test, the first one I did indicated that I might have blockages in the heart, later I had to have a heart cath, that scared me half to death. But the heart cath showed nothing so in a pulmonary stress test it was found that with exertion my airway closed just as it does at night with my sleep apnea.

Anyway since then I have had chemical stress tests only, they are much easier on me. The chemical just makes the heart muscle tense, not the other muscles and though I had some minor soreness in my chest for that day, I was better by the next day. When I ran the treadmill I was down for three days afterward, didn't know I had fibro then but now I know it was because of the use of lots of muscle systems in taking the test.

I would ask my doctor for the chemical test every time now. It hurts just for a few seconds and they stop it as soon as you feel it getting too tight.
  6. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Yvonne - I had to have a chemical induced stress test because I take a beta blocker. It went well and was over before I knew it. Sending you some (((((Hugs)))))

Carolin
  7. yjswan

yjswan New Member

Thank you all so much for your experiences and understanding. I feel much better now knowing I'll get through it okay, even if they must chemically induce it.

Ibuchanan, I also have sleep apnea. It's amazing how much we all have in common with the reflux, FMS, and sleep disorders, just to name a few.

Again, thanks for your encouragement and gentle hugs. I'll let you know how it turns out. Scheduled for the 29th.

Yvonne