Helped my insomnia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepwalk, Aug 16, 2006.

1. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

This is the first time I've ever posted to a message board, but I'm hoping this will be helpful to someone.

I started having the worst insomnia a couple of months ago. I was exhausted but still couldn't sleep, sometimes for 36 hours. I tried listening to soft music, exhausting myself, everything. I didn't want to start taking sleeping pills, but I thought I might have had to. I was a mess!

My husband noticed that my sleeping trouble started when we fixed the problems our house was having with dampness. Before that, the dehumidifier was running almost constantly, providing never-ending white noise. So we bought a noise machine (some of them are very expensive, but mine was around $30) for me to put on when I went to bed. The setting I use is ocean waves. Without any birds or other sounds it's really just a cycling, monotonous noise.

Well, it has helped me so much, I just had to let other people know. I still go to bed fairly late and wake up late as I have ever since I got sick, but now I'm able to get to sleep fairly quickly every night. Yay!

I know everyone is different, and this might not help everyone, but it seems worth a try. I think they make CDs with these kind of sounds, too. For me it was important to get something as close to white noise as possible.

Good luck!

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and i have one of those homemedics sounds things..

jodie
  3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I have been listening to waves nightly for a couple of years now. In fact we don't even bother turning it off, it just runs all day and all night! LOL

Thanks for the suggestion! I hope others are helped by this!

((HUGS))

kate
  4. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Forgot to tell you welcome to the board! ((HUGS))
  5. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

Great to be here!
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I actually run a fan in the bedroom that provides noise to help me. It is odd, but it helps.
  7. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

I think that would make me wet the bed...LOL. Just kidding. I need some kind of white noise to sleep too. I use my fan at night. It drives my husband crazy. It's not blowing on me...it just on. Oh well! It's helping me.

Hugs to everyone,
    Dawn
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I noticed when my air filter thingy went caput, that I couldn't sleep because it was too quiet.

I wanted one of those things they use in psychiatric/counseling offices so we can't hear what's being said in the room from out in the waiting room.

I found one in the JC Penney catalog! It's called a sleep mate, and it IS truly my SLEEP MATE! I can't sleep without it!
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. I've had insomnia since I was a child, even before I developed CFS.

Lots of nice people here. The board is a good place to exchange info, jokes, recipes, vents, etc.
  10. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

What a great idea!
    I have trouble staying asleep. Falling asleep is easy for me, but the rest of the night is a drag. Where do you purchase the machine, and what type? Waves sound like just the ticket.
  11. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

I found mine on the gaiam website. They are the people who send out the harmony catalog, if you've seen it. I can only use one of the settings, though.

I think that they have some higher end (read: more expensive) ones at sharper image, too. I think they have more settings.
  12. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

I'll start to search for the noise machine, checking out the web sites you mentioned. A good nights sleep wound really be nice. I plan to get right on it!
  13. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

Let me know how it works for you