Helpful Reading Material

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by shep, Apr 1, 2006.

1. shep

shep New Member

All of us with Fibromyalgia & CFS and a host of many other condiions live with fear and doubt on a daily basis. We live in pain and depression and even sometimes anger...Why? What is the Purpose of having this disease?

I don't know the answer to those questions. But, I know someone who does! A someday we will sit down and He will tell me all about it.

Until then, I have found a book I have read many, many times. It is Hinds' Feet on High Places, by Hannah Nurnard. It is a short read. It is an allegory. The main character (in the beginning) is a little woman named "Much Afraid." She lives in a village and has to take a trip..a trip she doesn't want to take..it takes her through many valleys, ect. Humilations, Trembling valleys.
    She is contantly harrassed by a man who wants to overtake her life Craven Fear. Along her journey she meets many friends...Mercy, Peace, Goodness.
    Most important of all she keeps "feeling ths presence " around her, especially when she is at her lowest point. His name is the Good Shephard.

Have I got your attention yet? This bood can be read in ne sitting (254 pages) and even a ten year old can understand it.
    I have pulled this bood out and read it so often it is almost ready for the good ol'duct tape repair! It cost me about $8.00 back about three years ago and is available at any Chrsitian Book Store.
    With Fibro Fog so bad some day, I listen to the Bible on tape while driving or at night when lying down.

I am in no way putting this book ahead of the Bible, God's Holy Word. But, sometimes with my fibro fog so strong, I can't concentrate on the Bible..and I can this simple yet so powerful story.

If you purchase this book and read it, please post and let me know what you think of it..pros and cons.

Happy Reading,
    Shep
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

Hind's Feet is a wonderful book! I read it about 15 or more years ago, and it has always stayed in my mind very strongly.

A friend of mine read it also, and we refer to 'Much Afraid' and her journey from time to time. It is truly about our spiritual journeys, and is very faith- strengthening.

I believe there is a sequel to it.

Many Blessings on your own spiritual path!!