Helps: Upper Middle (ELEPHANT) Chest Pain!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crissyfamily, Jul 6, 2003.

1. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

Finally after many many months of telling my doc that my chest hurt so bad in the middle by the breatbone she listened to me.. Told her it felt like intense pressure and unbearable pain....like something trying to push my bones apart....or as I think some of you describe it as an elephant sitting on your chest. I described it as something really really big (CRITTER) trying to push my chest apart...

she said oh, that sounds like constoconnitis....didn't ask her for spelling and could not find it on web or in dictionary so I'm sure spelled wrong but sounded something like what I typed above, but she said it is an inflammation in the nerve cells in the ribcage.

She sold me MediHerb Brand (you can get this brand off internet sites also and some good compounding pharmacies)or I'm sure some type of similar composition at the Whole Foods or Herb Mart type store.

Boswellia Complex. 3 tablets per day

has boswellia gum resin 300 mg
    celery seed fruit 196.7 mg
    Ginger Rhizome 60 mg
    Tumeric Rhizome 80 mg

other ingredients: calcium acid phosphate, cellulose, magnesium sterate, etc....

Have been taking 3 x per day (anytime is okay)....
    since 7/3 and I haven't had the intense pain (just very very minor now)....

My herb book says that Boswellia is:

a potent anti-inflammatory, antiarthritic and pain reliever w/o side effects. Good for arthritis, osteoarthritis, rehumatoid arthritis. Shows dramatic improvement in 2-4 weeks.

Also: Rejuvenates the skin (dry, chapped, mature skin) by encouraging new cells to develop and helps oil production in dry skin.

Also: Ulcerative colitis: dose of 400 mgs 3 x day works in 4-8 weeks.

Considerations for use: Since stimulates blood circulation do not use during pregnancy. Few side effects other than occasional allergic reaction, such as diarrhea, skin rash or nausea. However, it is not recommended for young children, pregnant or nursing women or those with severe liver or kidney disease.

Well, I know i have been reading that a lot of us have what feels like an elephant sitting on our chest and the hurting and since this has helped me I wanted to pass the info along and thought I'd further assist by researching its uses in my book "Prescription for Herbal Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC..(a good informative book on herbs by the way)

Hope if any of you try it that it helps you also...

Take care crissy.....

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Thats my favorite expression for that pain, an elephant sitting on my chest, I have been using that expression for that miserable pain now for 20 years.

Heres the correct spelling; Costachondriasis, also some spell it with a hyphen Costa-Chondriasis. You will be able to find it on the net with the correct spelling. Its quite a word to spell to say the least!

I have Phyllis Balch's book, its really terrific.

Will look for the Mediherb brand, if it helps that pain, I would pay anything for it!

I use a rub called; 'Banalg', and then put the heating pad on low across my chest, along with an Advil gel capsule for the inflammation. It usually helps too. But am always looking for something natural in place of the Advil if its avaliable.

Thanks for all the information, I sure appreciate it.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

Shirl, I was really dumbfounded on the spelling...

thanks and hope it works for you

Sometimes you can get Medi Herb by Standard Process at a discount (at least from what I pay my doc) on the internet...The cost from my doc for 30 tablets is $15.00. The nurse only sold me 2 saying I probably would not need more than that....I sure hope so!!

Take care...crissy
  4. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

no, did not know this...i'll research. Thanks for your advice....

crissy
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

and it used to really scare me until someone here told me what it was. When I would push on that spot it would hurt something fierce. It comes and goes.

Marilyn :)
  6. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

Thanks.

i'll try not sleeping on my back...i find i do that all the time....and I hate bras now...they hurt...so i usually only wear a jogging type bra and a loose one at that....

crissy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2003]
  7. tes

tes New Member

I can totally relate to you. I have had this miserable feeling for almost 10 years. Have had many tests done on my heart, lungs etc. My doctor is convinced it's part of my fibro. I also get tightness and my breathing is thrown out of whack!!! Feels like I can't get air out and always have to yawn to feel some relief. Is this how you feel? I have just gotten used to it know, however it still annoys me when it gets bad. I find stretching helps. Hope it passes as fast as it came. God bless.
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes it does cause me to feel like I can't breathe deeply. Like I am coming down with bronchitis. Its like your chest is 'tight' and the air just does not get through right.

Whoever said about sleeping on your back?? you are right, I had to train myself to sleep on my sides, no stomach either.

I put a pillow between my knees to keep my spine aligned too.

As for a bra, mine 'hangs' on the back of the computer chair! Its a little strapless one ( no big boobs here), and I grab it when someone is coming or I go out, otherwise I don't wear the darn thing.

Another thing that seems to cause it to flare up is reaching above your head or lifting something heavy.

My pain is the Costachondriasis, the trigger points that hurt me are right below the collar bone, there are four of them !

Sometimes it all hurts at the same time. From under the collar bone down the ribcage to the end of it.

I hit the bed and the heating pad when it starts, also a soak in the tub with the peroxide and epson salts if my husband is here, I am afraid when I am alone that I might fall getting out of the tub so just take a very warn short shower then.

I found the Mediherb Crissy, will order it and let you know how it works for me also.

Shalom, Shirl

9. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

i've only had this 1 year, but find myself yawning more and working harder to catch my breath....I was hoping it didn't get worse....

crissy...
  10. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

Shirl, let me know if it works for you...yes, actually i very seldom wear a bra unless my daughter has friends over or if I have to go out...it hurts less w/o one.....

take care!
    crissy
  11. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

Thanks for the advice on how to alleviate the pain...i'm sure there are a lot of us that can use help in this area...
    so far, the Boswellia is helping but I need may need more help!!

thanks so much!
    crissy