HELPScared of Cardiac Catherization

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yjswan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. yjswan

yjswan New Member

Went for a nuclear stress test and my doctor is now referring me to a cardiologist to schedule a cardiac catherization. He said the stress test showed about a 99% chance of blockage.

I've been reading about the CC on the web and it says you must lie flat on your back following with legs straight out for up to 6 hours following test. I honestly do not believe I can do this with FMS pain. I must change positions constantly to get relief, especially for my back.

Have any of you had this done and how did you get through this? Did the test hurt? What happens if they find blockages?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Before you have the test discuss this with your doctor. Sometimes they can make accomodations for you. I hate lying down flat, and I tell them when I go for tests.

There may be something they can do...
  3. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

See if your doctor knows of any Cardiologist in your area that use the new 3-D heart machine that uses die and follows it through your heart. It is much clearer and may make the heart cath unnecessary if blockages are not found.

However, if you do have blocked arteries they can put in splints at the same time as the heart cath and it is a done deal, I know how scary it is, I had one done in 2004, but they found nothing. I too had a bad result on a stress test but later they found out that my airway closes on exertion, just as it does when I sleep, I have sleep apnea, so it was the lack of air that stressed my heart not blockages. However, my husband had one done in 2003 after passing his stress test with flying colors but had some minor chest pains that turned out to be all five arteries clogged 95% and he had to have a quadruple by pass the next day, without his heart cath we wouldn't have him with us today.

It is really hard to lay still that long but maybe they can give you some relaxing drugs to help you cope, if you have trouble holding your urine ask for help before the catherization so that you won't have to hold it and tense the bladder and abdominal muscles. Take a portable tape or cd player and some relaxation tapes or CD's, you can move your arms to do this, or a book to read and that will help the time go faster.

Good luck,
    Linda B.
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I was able to talk to the technicians beforehand and begged kindly for a copy of the video. They burned it on a CD for me. I only had to lie down for 15 minutes for my catheter screening. Maybe because they found only a minimal buildup.

For plaque build up, read about enzymes and William Wong N.D. If its calcium buildup, ask about EDTA chelation therapy. EDTA can be purchased OTC but since your "99% blocked" already, ask the cardiologist.

Otherwise, they will do a "bypass" surgery.
  5. whoachief

whoachief New Member

The first one I thought I would go NUTS laying there for that period of time & was in a LOT of pain. The second one I talked to the cardiologist beforehand and they gave me muscle relaxers and pain meds at the end of my procedure via my iv and I slept thru most of the "afterward time". Good luck!
  6. twitcher

twitcher New Member

The reason for lying flat it because they have to puncture your femoral artery (near the groin) to feed the wires up to the heart. The lying flat is to prevent you from bending at the groin which can cause bleeding. Most cath. labs use something now called an angioseal. It's a little plug they put in the artery puncture site when they are done. It greatly reduces the lying flat time. I would be surprised if they don't have them. They usually sedate you for the procedure.

Good luck,

Twitcher
  7. yjswan

yjswan New Member

While I'm still feeling anxious about this, it sure helps to hear from all of you. I will definitely talk to my cardiologist about sedation and muscle relaxants following the procedure. Thank you all for your support and information.

God bless and gentle hugs,
    Yvonne
  8. Lisa_b

Lisa_b New Member

Hi there

I had one done last October and the doctor and assistants helping him were great. I was crying like crazy and she did everything she could to comfort me and reassure me everything was going to be fine. Even though they did give me something before I went for the procedure I was still a little nervous. Then the nurse did a great job of comforting me and she also gave me something for pain. For some unknown reason my back was killing me. I think it was because I had tensed up. It doesn't take long for them to do it. By the way did you know they hold your feet down with sand bags, it doesn't hurt or anything. They just use them so you won't move much. You will be fine and if they do have to put a stint it you will just have to stay the night.
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Yvonne .. I just had this done late November .. I put it off for over 3 years .. it was so much better than I thought .. I had "happy pills" to keep me HAPPY .. and quiet .. yes .. i did have to be relatively "still" for 4 hours .. and believe me .. I have a lower back fusion with 4 screws and a bone graft that really bothers me .. plus the fibro .. but muscle relaxents .. pillow under the knees .. I was allowed to lay on my side after a bit of time ..
    They will do just about anything to help with the discomfort if they are good ? .. just joking ..
    BUT truly .. I was a HUGE BABY and it went so much better than I thought it would .. and the good news was ... no blockages .. so that in turn took a lot of stress off my shoulders and my husband/son ...
    It is worth having an answer to .. so grit your teeth and try to get through this .. it is a "good" thing to have done !

Best of luck
    Joy : )
    PS .. it really will take stress off your mind !
  10. firefighter01

firefighter01 New Member

they will give u some feel good drugs and they will sit you up comfortably. don't worry about keeping the leg straight b/c they will tie it down if they have to and u will be getting some good sleep! :)
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Yvonne:

My mom had this done 2 years ago and had a stent inserted. It really was not that bad. She was more nervous that they were going to have to do the bypass surgery.

Just the leg that the needle was inserted could not be moved. They put a big sand bag on her leg, and while she said it was not comfy, it was not too bad. They gave her medication to keep her kinda sedated. She is bi-polar and takes a boatload of other medicines, but she did very well. I hope that you will as well. Just be sure to tell your doctor that you are very uncomfortable lying flat on your back...perhaps they can give you more medicine to keep you partially sedated as well. You might want to speak to your anesthesiologist as well.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  12. yjswan

yjswan New Member

My catherization is scheduled for next Tuesday. I spoke with him and his assistant about my concerns. They were very helpful and told the hospital that the procedure should be done through my wrist instead of my groin if at all possible. The cardiologist said if I do have blockages, I will have to return for either an angioplasty or open-heart surgery (heaven forbid)..nothing will be done during the catherization. Even though my test results were conflicted, he is convinced I have at least one or two blockages. I sure hope he's wrong.

I'll let all know how it turns out. Thank you so much for your reassurance and gentle hugs. Your support means a lot to me and will help me get through this.

You folks are the best,

Yvonne