Heparin dosage and results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suttles, Sep 19, 2005.

1. suttles

suttles New Member

Some time back there were several people in the group on Heparin.

I wondered what dose you took and how soon you saw results.

I didn't understand the label when i got it and was giving my shots for double the dosage the Dr had written.

I have lyme and also the HEMEX test was high but have taken bromelain ever since I had the test.

Suttls
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is the units of Heparin which matters. Mine is 10,000 units per millilitre. The 10,000 units is taken twice a day. Mine was injectible. My doc had no experience with the low-molecular-weight Heparin which is preferred and available in a sublingual form. I had to just take the regular Heparin by injection.

This 10,000 units twice a day is considered a low dose. It can, however, produce quite an immune reaction as the fibrin is removed and the pathogens hiding out in the fibrin are dumped into the bloodstream.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

how long have u been doing the heparin therapy? and how do u know if it's working, given that you seem to be on a lot of other stuff too?
    Cheers
    Delia
  4. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Suttles,

I take 6000 units 2x/day. The concentration of Heparin I get is 10000 units/ml and I inject only .6 ml.

I saw a huge difference in 48 hours. I believe this can vary for everyone. But after 48 hours all of a sudden I had recovered 100% of my energy. I could go all day and then when it was time to go to bed I was tired and fell asleep and then popped right out of bed 2 hours earlier than normal. I also lost several pounds the first week. My urine changed from gold to straw. I attributed this to being able to absorb nutrients, but don't know this for sure.

I got a really clear picture as to how sick I really am. I was shocked to know how impaired I was and how much of my life I was missing out on.

Be careful with your dosage as Heparin can cause some issues with platelets. My understanding is that it is rare, but it is very serious.

How long have you been taking it? What dosage did your doc recommend?

I hope it goes really well for you! Keep us posted!

Love & Light,
    Laurie
  5. suttles

suttles New Member

I was using the vial of heparin and I didn't understand the dosage because one dr that wrote the prescription was going to have me see a nurse to show me how to do the injectins.

I got it filled and the syringes with the hepairn.

Then I went to see the Dr in MO for the Lyme and while I was there his nurse showed me how to do the injections.

I came home and just thought that the bottle was my dose.
    That just filled the syringe.
    I then called my MD and he said 4U and so that was about half of the syringe and vial.

I think I felt better those couple of days on the higher dose.

I have also started some antibiotics for babesia.

I waited on doing them but I don't feel very good.

I had been on zithromax for over a month and not the worse thing was being sleepy after I took it.

Sleepiness is a major problem for me.
    I started taking it at night but the sleepiness is still bad.

I have been off the zithromax for about two weeks and I think it takes almost that long to get out of your system.

I just seems that there a just so many complications to this.

Also dose the dosage go by what you weigh?

I had a PT and PTT just before starting it and then 3 days later.
    If the fibrogen is high then what is different about a PT test. I know what it stands for but not the difference in it and fibrogen.

Suttles
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think the Brewer Protocol called for Heparin for six months. I was only able to tolerate it for 2 1/2 months because of the strong immune reaction. In addition to the usual fatigue, fluish feeling, sore throat and swollen lymph nodes, my body started to retain fluids so bad that my ankles were full of water and I looked pregnant.

Even reducing the dose to one injection a day didn't help. Also, I started to bleed at the injection sites, so my doc and I decided it was time to stop.

I did not have the ISAC Panel from HEMEX Labs. My low SED Rate was an indication that there might be hypercoagulation. It was a 7, up from the lowest of a 1, last time I had my bloodwork done in July. This isn't definitive but is a good hint that the Heparin has done it's work.

Love, Mikie
  7. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Suttles,

My doctor prescribed based on body weight. I weigh 142 now, but about 150 when I first started the Heparin.

There are Heparin troches available. I think you let them dissolve under your tongue. Jjeennnniiee takes these. My doc has only worked with the injectable and so felt more comfortable with the efficacy of it.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone considering the Heparin treatment, please don't let the injections put you off if injectible is the form you must use.

You just gather up a wad of fat on the belly and stick the needle straight in. I usually didn't even feel the injections.

Love, Mikie