Heparin - Potential Side Effects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Waynesrhythm, May 23, 2009.

1. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

I've read with interest in the past, posts that have described the use of Heparin in helping to address hypercoagulation issues. To my recollection, some here have had remarkable success using this approach.

I've been interested in hypercoagulation, because it seems any number of pathogenic infections can cause this condition in the body. And it appears most of us here can have any number of these infections.

Anyway, I was just reading on some of this, and came across what I would consider some cautionary notes of the use of Heparin. (Aren't there always cautionary notes?). Thought I'd post it below for anybody who might have an interest.

A question for anybody who has good familiarity with these issues: Are hypercoagulation and fibrin buildup the same thing? --- Thanks.

Best, Wayne

Cautionary Notes on the Use of Heparin

It has been suggested that the use of heparin will address hypercoagulation. Recent data from JAMA (Stephenson 2001) indicates that the use of low dose heparin may transform a 'benign fungal infection into a toxic shock-like reaction'. This research was presented at the 39th annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America in 2001 by Margaret K. Hostetter, M.D. of Yale University School of Medicine (Hostetter 2001 and San-Blas et al 2000).

Hostetter and colleagues found that Candida albicans can attach to host cells and form invasive hyphae. Low dose heparin utilized in procedures for hospitalized patients through the practice of heparin in intravascular catheters may transform C. albicans into a life-threatening pathogen. Hostetter was able to identify a gene, INT1, encoding a C. albicans surface protein, Intlp, which was linked with adhesion, the ability to grow filaments and ultimately virulence of C. albicans of a systemic nature.

The use of heparin raises the cytokines TNF alpha and IL-6 (Stephenson 2001) in addition to Phospholipase A2 (Mudher et al 1999; Kern et al 2000; Farooqui 1999; Verity et al 1994). Biotoxins which form neurotoxins, may create a state of hypercoagulation from the rise in TNF alpha. Consequently, the use of heparin may exacerbate the hypercoagulation and the neurotoxic condition. The source of the problem- biotoxins, which have formed neurotoxins creating a state of hypercoagulation, must be addressed from the context of the underlying neurotoxic condition and healing the cell membrane.

The entire article can be accessed at:

[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2009]
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Kelly,

I sure did get a kick out of your post title. :) You know, I may need to take a lesson from you. I've kind of felt restrained from doing any passionate postings, as they sometimes seem to invite all kinds of criticism from people who do not like passion.

But holy jumping catfish Kelly, I may now have to rethink this whole thing. Maybe a little passion is what we need to spice this place up a little. What do you think? :)

RE: IL-6 levels. Kelly, I have no idea what these things are. I think my CFIDS IQ is becoming lower all the time. It's getting to the point where it feels all I can do is just be amazed at the absurdity of it all. In other words, I may be approaching things more philosophically than realistically these days. Not sure what that bodes for the future. Perhaps a little more detachment. Maybe just what the doctor in the sky ordered?

Kind of rambling here for some reason. -- Thanks again for the good chuckle.

Wayne[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2009]
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

I hadn't heard that about heparin, but warfarin (a similar drug) has a terrible reputation.

Have you had the Hemex "HTRP" Hereditary Risk Thrombosis Panel (I think that's what it's called)? Apparently that's the main one that Ken Lassesen suggests is very helpful. It will tell you what type of drug or enzyme formula to use because it tells you what type of coagulation defect you might have (or if you have one). I had lunch w/Ken about a month ago...he's FULL of energy and 100% recovered, as is his wife.

I've been reading lately about high-dose vitamin k2 therapy -- and how it supposedly helps 'regulate' clotting, etc.. I think vitamin K has a bad rap -- it is supposed to regulate clotting, not promote it.

Anyway, a Dr. Howenstein (sp?) and others have suggested that k2 helps steer calcium towards bones, and keep it out of arteries. Some claim it actually helps reverse this calcification...but don't quote me on that! :) Some of these docs (Brownstein, Abraham, all M.D.'s) say we don't get nearly enough iodine, because so many modern additives block it.

Also looking into Iodoral -- an iodine supplement -- because some folks with CFS/Fibro, and of course some with thyroid issues -- are finding that it (and other iodine/iodide) supps are helping them with inflammation and esp helping to increase body temperatures, even if they've been on thyroid meds with no success. They also mention less brain fog. Sounds too good to be true, so I'm sure it's more complex than what I've stated.

And other patients have found help with "fibroboost" which is a Martin Pall endorsed product made from a seaweed -- full of iodine. ???

And my interest was peaked when I read about how some folks have been finally able to sleep at night after taking it, along with things like vitamin D and K2. Very complicated, but interesting.

hope this helps,

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used it for excess firbin, which seems to travel with chronic infections. While blood thinners can be used for a variety of situations, Heparin, and low-molecular weight Heparin, are used to break down excess fibrin in people who have suffered chronic infections for long periods of time. The fibrin can trap platelets to produce paradoxical hemmorhaging. Pathogens can get trapped in these fibrin/platelet clumps and if Heparin is not introduced slowly, a toxic-shock-like reaction can occur when the blood stream is overwhelmed with pathogens. When I took the injections, I had horrible immune reactions and I went very slowly.

Unfortunately, the Chinese-made Heparin has been contaminated and there have been deaths. The contaminated Heparin was in the larger vials in hospitals from which many injections were drawn. This product was removed. Hospitals began using the smaller vials and the demand is so great that there is none available for us. It is only the low-molecular-weight product which we can get. It is preloaded in the syringes and is so expensive that my co-pay for the Lovenox would have been $400 to $1,500, depending on where I was in my Part D Medicare donut hole.

The good news is that there is an equally effective, and less risky, way to break up fibrin and it is available OTC. It is an enzyme called, Nattokinase. It is best when combined with vitamin E. There is a lot of info online for this treatment. In the last two years, I have had pneumonia, E-Coli food poisoning, and bronchitis. I'm taking the Nattokinase to ensure I don't get the buildup of fibrin again. I have not noticed the side effects I did with the Heparin injections.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Didn't know whether you got to see this or not. It's rolled over several pages.

Love, Mikie
  6. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

Goldwater law firm is doing a nationwide lawsuit for patients hurt by heparin. The side-effects seem to mimic the symptoms of FM and CFS.
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

Hey perhaps you guys can answer my question, I havent gone for the hemex testing but may as curious, but my local mainstream doc ran the fibrinogen test that ins. pays for it said my results were normal=338
    a look online and I see normal labs are : 193-423 mg/dL

so I am wondering if my results means anything in cfs world if u guys know, which end of clotting do I lean towards if any and with my lab would you bother to get the hemex too?
  8. simonedb

simonedb Member

Hey perhaps you guys can answer my question, I havent gone for the hemex testing but may as curious, but my local mainstream doc ran the fibrinogen test that ins. pays for it said my results were normal=338
    a look online and I see normal labs are : 193-423 mg/dL

so I am wondering if my results means anything in cfs world if u guys know, which end of clotting do I lean towards if any and with my lab would you bother to get the hemex too?
  9. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

Hi Dan, thanks for all the information you posted. I've been taking a lot of seaweed tablets to up my iodine intake, but have not looked enough into iodine therapy to get a sense whether I'm taking enough for it to be effective. I have to say however, that my sleep has improved in the past week or so, and, given what you wrote about sleep improvement, it's quite possible it's because of the extra iodine I'm ingesting.

Another reason I keep iodine in mind is that it apparently is supposed to be particularly helpful in assisting normal detoxification. I read an account of a man who was diagnosed with Lyme and was successful in reducing his pathogen load, but his body was overwhelmed by the amount of toxicity that resulted. After supplementing with iodine, it all went much better for him.

Hi Mikie, thanks for bumping this post back around. I do lose track of threads more these days because I'm not able to search for my username like we used to be able to do on the old board. I thought I had remembered you getting good results from using Heparin, but I didn't remember you having to be so careful with it. Some good cautionary notes for anybody considering this therapy. I seem to remember Lconstable (Laurie) had some mixed results using Heparin. Good at first, but then became problematic as I remember.

I've been taking a Wobenzym substitute lately (Michaels "W-Zymes"), and do seem to be noticing some subtle improvements. I'm going slowly on this, and from what you wrote, slowly is probably a good thing. I really try to avoid any reactions that might overload what my body is capable of handling at any given time.

Hi cfsgeorge, thanks for posting that bit of information on the class-action lawsuit. I know trial lawyers often get a bad rap, and probably much of it deservedly so, but I do feel they play an important part in keeping corporations more honest than they might otherwise be. Consumers certainly need protections, especially when dealing products that can have such health altering consequences.

Hi Simon, sorry, I'm really not up on this kind of testing. Perhaps as this gets bumped around again, somebody else might be able to help out on this.

Thanks for replying everyone.

Best to All, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2009]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

See the post on Acyclovir. There is a lot of good info there, especially on Nattokinase and vitamin E, which I now use in lieu of Heparin or Lovenox.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think you may be interested in Virastop as described by Forebearance under the Acyclovir post, so I'm trying to keep this at the top so you can see it.

Love, Mikie
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am having a fairly mild Herx-like response to the Natto right now. I've noticed feeling tired and headachy. Then came the swollen lymph nodes and, finally, profuse sweating and diarrhea. It'll likely be gone by tomorrow. That it was so mild says to me that there hasn't been significant fibrin buildup despite the infections I've dealt with the last couple of years. That they were addressed may account for it. I think it's the chronic infections which go on for years which cause the excess fibrin.

Love, Mikie
  13. Catseye

Catseye Member

I mostly just wanted to say hi.

About the heparin, it's a typical doctor method - don't worry about what could have caused it, let's just deal with it as if it is a disease in itself, as if you just woke up one day and your blood decided to get reeaallllyy sticky!

What you posted does sound quite scary. And strangely enough, I was able to eradicate the yeast in my guts before the bad bacteria. Some of our guests can be hardy adversaries. Too bad you can't just punch them out like you can a troublesome house guest! They eat what we eat so we have to starve them while we kill them. Bummer for people who like to eat carbs.