Heparin Question Can you help??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chootik, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi Everyone.

Can anyone tell me what was the dose of Heparin injections they had? My doc told me to take 5000 usp units a day, 2500 in the morning and 2500 at night. Anyone else use this dose? If not, can you tell me what doses you guys used?

Also I've been doing the injections for about a week now and I feel tenderness and a little pain in my kidney area. Anyone else experience this with Heparin?

Thanks for everyone's help :)
  2. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i can help with the dose question i work as a nurse and i give the stuff a lot. most often it's given as 5000 units once or twice a day depending on doctor preference. as for as the pain in the kidneys i've never had a patient complain of that, if it were me i would let my dr. know. you can't be to careful. i wouldn't say it's an emergency but just give him a call and see what he thinks.

i hope this helps!

rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2006]
  3. Chootik

Chootik New Member

So do you mean 5000 in each dose? If that's the case it would mean 10,000 if it was given twice! Ouch! Actually my kideny thing feels better today. I did smaller injection today and drink plenty of water and cranberry juice to easy it on my kidneys. We'll see how this works out.

Thanks for your help.

Can anyone else tell me what their dosage was on Heparin?
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I did Heperin from June to Januuary. My hypercoagulation completely went away. I retested in Dec and my levels went from the highest they had ever seen to normal.

For the first month I had a lot of swelling. When my Mopm saw they bruising she flipped out! i used ice directly after the injection for about 20 minutes. if I had to go somewhere I would take a bag of frozen peas and just but them on my tummy riding in the car. The bruise has just now faded so you can't tell any more.

I had very sore neck sholders and glands for about six weeks and then it just gradually went away. after a while the injections were no big deal and my tummy became used to it. I never had kidney pain but at first my whole tummy was very sore and very bruised.

The Heperin worked for me along with my othere treatments. It was hard but I am glad I did it because I feel so much better now! Lynn