Hepitits C anyone have or had it. My BF may be dying

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckball, Oct 6, 2006.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I have a best friend from high school. She has been a nurse at the same hospital for 30 years.

She had been complaining to me last spring about how sick she had become. But hates Drs. 50 years old and never had a pap or mammogram.

So after a long talk I convinced her to go see my Dr. She knew her too and knows she is one of the good ones.

She dxs her with Hep C, she knows she has been stuck over the years and does not live a lifstyle to get it any other way.

She also had gallstones so they did a liver biopsy when they removed them. She already had major liver damage.

She was off work for about 6 weeks for the gallbladder surgery, went back to work for one week and fell at home and broke her leg.

She still contiued her weekly treatments which caused slow healing in her leg. She has not worked since May and now has lost her position and 30 years of senority.

She went yesterday to her hep Dr and she has not improved and is acually worse. All of her blood work is bad. They want to send her to Ohio State for more opinions.

She has a 13 year old daughter who's father died after her divorce from him. Her first husband who she has to 2 adult children with died last month in a horrible car wreck. They were still close freinds.

She is such a sweet and caring person and never likes to bother or ask anyone for anything. Her mother and my mother are in a very tight race for Worst Mother of Year awards. She has the money to help her but has not offered.

I am already a mess from my dental issues, then she called me last night to tell me her news. It all feels like it is a horrible nightmare and I can't wake up.

She said she is in stage 3 of 4 of the disease. Does anyone have any expereince with hepititis.

I feel so sad for my freind. She raised her children and spoiled them and was too good to them by not making them do chores or help her.

Now they are spoiled adults and have not been there for her, unless the oldest wants her to babysit her 9 month old grandson.

We are both ready to call a Thelma and Louise road trip- Do you all remember the movie with Susan Sarandon and Gena Davis when they drove off and over the Grand Canyon?

Thank's for reading all of this- I have no where else to turn for support but you guys. I just don't know what to do-Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I cannot imagine how you must feel. My best friend and I always joke about "pulling a Thelma and Louise!" I am with you!
    Please hang in there - I have no advice on what to do about the Hep C and the story is so tragic. Miracles do happen and I hope they happen for your friend.
    We'll be HERE. Keep us posted.
    Hugs
    Kim
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Carla:

What a horrible thing to have happen.

It sounds like you are a very good friend and are giving all of the support you can.

That says much about you! Good girl.

nyrofan
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I know a little about it. I have a family member with it. He was very lucky and caught it very early. He has been on Peg shots and ribovivan...not sure I spelled that right...for six months and his last blood test came back that his viral load was almost down to zero from 45,0000 six months ago.I don't know much about it when it get as advanced as hers but hopefully she is on the right meds to help her....If I can answer any questions let me know. Hugs...Mick!!
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

on the web it is an herb for your liver i is suppost to have great results.charlene
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Carla I am soooooooooo sorry about your friend. I have lost my parents and their generation is starting to die out . I told my husband not long ago I just will not be able to deal with it if anything happens to my friends at our age.

Ohio State is a really goodteaching College and they are on top of things, so if her doctor wants her to go there I'd do everything to get her there.Sometimes friends are better to have around then family .Embrace the idea if its possible go with her.It would give you a break for awhile to.
    You both are in my prayers.

7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

my family member also takes milk thistle daily....check it out....Mick!!
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Didn't this lady have long term disability at her hospital? Get the financial things in order, fist and foremost.

Check with her medical plan and see if it will offer some home health care assistance. Then, check with social agencies in the area and get her any and all help that they can offer, and let her concentrate on her disease.

Then, even in stage three, she may be able to respond to the treatment. If the current regiment is not working, then ther are different combinations. Additionally, a liver transplant, with treatment for the Hepatitis C can be done.

Get her SSD started and get her that financial and medical assistance, and that will relieve that.

As for the Thelma and Louise, if she can muster the energy, and keep her regimine of treatment, do take a leasurely trip and do or see what you would want to see and treat your souls. Just don't get mixed up with shady men and crime, LOL.

I saw situations such as this all the time, in my career, and they are heartbreaking.
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

She has been off work since May and exhausted all of her vacation and short tem disabilty. The hopital has crappy plans, figures huh.

She has already filed for SSDI and got turned down and did her reconsideration this week, plus went for foodstamps, state aid, ect too.

I will do everything I can to be there for her including going to Ohio State. Her mother is stingy, she actually told her to write her congressman for help.

I have heard of the milk thislte and will look that up.

I am at the shop today, my home phone wasn't working this morning- so if I don't reply that is why- Thanks again-Carla
  10. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Carla - I am so sorry to hear about your friend- there are so many people that are coming up with Hep C- My husband has it and he has end stage liver disease- he is on a transplant list and we are just waiting.... Have they spoke to her about getting a liver transplant? I had a cousin that also was a RN and got Hep C - when she probably was poked by a needle- she did the treatment and it has put it in a remission- she is on SSD-got it when she came down with the Hep.

My DH was diag. with Hep C back in 97,we figure he got it when he was in the service which alot of people during the Vietnam war - seemed to have gotten it- I really feel for you and your friend - My prayers are there... Janet

My husband has been on a transplant list for almost 3 years- but he remains stable- which means he is NOT sick enough to get the transplant- with the liver they go by certain numbers when they do the blood work- but my DH does not have a very good quality of life- he is in bed alot....
  11. srollins

srollins New Member

i am so sorry. if it isn't one thing it is another.
    i will certainly keep you and your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

{{{{{big hug for you both}}}}}}

shirley