Herbal sleep tea question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi everyone. A dear friend of mine just gave me a can of tea bags called, Surrender to Sleep Herb Tea. I have taken herbal teas before like Chamomile and Passionflower, but I never took one that had all these herbs together. It contains, Chamomile, Valarian Root, Lemon Balm, Passionflower and Skullcap. I'm afraid that this tea might have too many sleep ingredients in them, (Okay, guys, I'm paranoid, LOL). I think my overly sensitive body is starting to make me nuts sometimes. Has anyone tried a combination like this? I don't take any medications for sleep, I just take my magnesium which is helping, but would like to try other things as well. Thanks, hugs Chelz.
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

are low so unless you are allergic to any of them you shouldn't have any problems. Their effect should be very gentle.

Cheers

Tansy
  3. averilpam

averilpam New Member

most of those herbs are fairly mild. Valerian is the most potent. It's best not to use it constantly, ie discontinue for a while every few weeks.
    Pam

I've heard that some people have food sensitivities that include some herbs so obviously that's always a possibility with anything that has multiple ingredients - if it causes a reaction you won't know what you are reacting to!!

Hope it helps. I've recently started ZMA which has helped me to sleep longer, though it doesn't get me to sleep. I use valerian intermittantly, and sometimes use melatonin if I'm having problems dropping off to sleep.
    Pam xx
  4. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I use this in a capsule from eclectic institute. It makes me very groggy, but I still can't push off without 5 mg. of Ambien at this point. I have no problems with this combo at all, my holistic doc said it was okay to take them all together. Not being sleepy enough is not our problem, I guess.

I too worry about taking them constantly, but the holistic doc says it is okay. I feel like I don't believe her and want to be more conservative.

There is a conservative herb website called the natural pharmacist that uses scientific studies to judge herbs and list benefits and problems. It is not a "rah-rah" site for herbs, but very balanced. Take a look at it.