Herbs for Pain Relief...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IndigoSC, May 19, 2003.

1. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I am just curious as to whether anyone has found any herbs or any other over-the-counter products that actually provide as much (or somewhat close to) pain relief as prescription pain meds, as I am STILL having trouble getting anything for pain and willing to try ANYthing. I can't afford another dr. visit right now though, as I don't have any health insurance, but maybe some herbs or anything else?? I take the magnesium, calcium, multi-vitamin, b-complex, glucosamine, chrondroitin, MSM, and malic acid already.... THANKS!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't take pain meds, but I have found that Advil gel capsules are very good for FM pain. Just don't over do them as they can upset your stomach if taken in large dosages. I can get away with one, but a few a day won't do any harm.

Also I have taken 'Natural Calm' by Natural Vitality is also a good choice. Its powdered magnesium citrate. If the pain is bad, I will take a teaspoon in hot water, I usually get relief in about half an hour. But don't take too much, as it will cause diarrhea in large doses.

A soak in;

3 large bottles of peroxide (regular)
    3 cups of Epson Salts

Mixed in a tub of very warm water, you need to soak for 20 minutes only. It will make you feel weak, so go to bed for at least a half hour right after the bath.

I also use a 'mattress heating pad', it is wonderful for the night pain and the morning stiffness. They are sold at Penny's, Sear's and Spiegel's through the catalog or online.

Let me know if you get some relief. I know how you feel!

Shalom, Shirl

3. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Thanks Shirl for the ideas, just out of curiosity, what does hydrogen peroxide do when you bathe in it?