Herbs to Reduce Inflammation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Dec 22, 2005.

1. darude

darude New Member

Boswellia Serrata - Herb used for inflammation and pain control. Boswellic acids have an anti-inflammatory action much like conventional non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID's). However, unlike NSAID's, long term use of Boswellia has never been shown to lead to irritation or ulceration of the stomach. Boswellia also inhibits pro-inflammatory mediators in the body.

White Willow Bark - Herb used for inflammation and pain control. White Willow Bark is the source of a wide range of phenolic glycosides, the most important being Salicin. White Willow Bark is used like Aspirin; treating mild fevers, colds, infections, arthritis and other forms of pain caused by inflammation. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is a synthetic replacement for Salicin, with the added risks of potentially dangerous gastrointestinal side effects and ulceration of the stomach wall. White Willow Bark, on the other hand, is a natural form of Salicin - passing harmlessly through the gastrointestinal tract, it is broken down into Saligen and Glucose, with no indications of stomach upset, ulceration or bleeding as reported with Aspirin. The Saligen is then taken up by the body through the intestinal wall and converted to Salicylic Acid in the blood and liver. This conversion process takes several hours, so results will not be as immediate as Aspirin, but relief seems to be sustained for several hours longer once this conversion does take place and the Salicylic Acid is in the bloodstream.

Sarsaparilla - Used by many Indian tribes in the American Southwest, this herb is known to increase circulation to the joints and reduce inflammation caused by arthritis. Aside from containing steroidal saponins and phytosterols which are believed to contribute to it's therapeutic effects, Sarsaparilla also contains calcium, copper, iron, iodine, potassium, manganese, silicon, sulphur, vitamins A, C, B complex and D. Vitamins A & C are anti-oxidant vitamins and necessary nutrients for connective tissue vitality.

Yucca - Herb used for inflammation and pain control. Yucca contains the natural steroid saponin, and also appears to block the release of toxins from intestines that inhibit the normal formation of cartilage.

Feverfew - Herb used for inflammation and pain control. The active ingredients found in feverfew help reduce pain by inhibiting prostaglandins and promoting vasodilation, thus reducing inflammatory reactions in the body.

Devil's Claw - Herb used for inflammation and pain control. Used primarily in the treatment of arthritic conditions, Devil's Claw contains harpogoside and betasitosterol, two components shown to have pain relieving properties.

Bromelain Found in high concentrations in pineapple stems, Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme that increases nutrient absorption and inhibits the production of kinins and fibrin, which promote the inflammatory process.
  2. darude

darude New Member

Storm!!!!!!! Actually this all comes in on pill that I take. Available in Canada made by the Indians. Works well. Don't think I can post here tho. I take this and use their topical ointment.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

I have used the boswellia that is particularly useful when a flare-up, relapse, or high levels of die off trigger body wide inflammation; it's an elastase inhibitor. In the past I have used devils' claw. Sarsaparilla is recommended in Stephen Buhner's "Healing Lyme...."

I have found other non pharmaceutical immune modulators and anti-inflammatories help; these have other beneficial effects as well. Noni, samento, vit D3, natto, and turmeric are just a few of them.

love, Tansy
  4. wrthster

wrthster New Member

There are both cold and hot herbs. Believe it or not even some of the antiflammatories such as tummeric is considered a hot herb. We all need to recognize our bodies and I know for myself I can not take a hot herb without having problems. Cooling anti anflammatory herbs in my opinion work the best. Learned this from a Chinese Herbalogist. Good luck.
  5. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

I've been interested in trying to reduce general inflammation lately. I'm switching to a high Omega-3 fish oil, with a low proportion of DHA, to see if that helps.

Sloan-Kettering has a lot of information about herbs and botanicals at:

Thanks again!
  6. nink

nink New Member

7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

You mentioned bosweillia that apparently is a cooling herb, and doesn't affect your stomach (major gastritis), and then I saw an immune modulator you listed "Samento".

Can you tell me the different effects you had on these?

Thanks for your info..........

Healing light...................carole