Here's a puzzle, not a riddle

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Mar 18, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

This is very straight-forward. No tricks involved:

1. Spend time idly or bread unit
    2. Worker's organization or marriage
    3. Pine tree fruit or ice cream holder
    4. Feeling of curiosity or savings account accrual
    5. Land parcel or considerable quantity
    6. Illumination or not weighty at all
    7. Typewriter type style or the VIP crowd
    8. Baby's toy or city square
    9. Weapon or upper body appendage
    10. Bowling group or three nautical miles
    11. Stand at a slant or thin

Eleven pairs of definitions. When you are done you will have an acronymn for "a beloved TV personality".

2. rockgor

Noenergy. You must come back and visit the chit chat board again.

I am reading a book by Paula Poundstone. She spends two pages on the terrible weather in Florida. She was talking about the Wright brothers and somehow segued into Florida weather.

She also thinks the tv weather-people are crazy 'cause they go stand in the hurricanes while reporting on them.

I haven't seen I Love Lucy for some years. I live in an electronic black hole where the tv and cell phones don't work. Kinda like to see the episode where she rides the mower again.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hey Rock, I was about to post the answers but was beat to the post!!!

Paula Poundstone I saw live at Cornell and she was very funny. She of course, got hounded to the ground by the press a while back. It is amazing to me how readily the media go after gays and seem to get away with it here. Is she still doing stand up? I hope so, as I loved her act.

Love Annie
  4. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

You have never posted to me, and I am sure you are not aware of my presence..BUT...

I feel like I know you through your posts, here, depression, etc.

I love your puzzles and riddles and clever answers.

Thank you for being a part of this board.

AND NO...I am NOT a groupie! I am a 61 year old sensible woman. smile

5. rockgor

Nice to hear from you. SOL

Always glad to meet someone of intelligence and good taste. (Smiling out loud!) Didn't we exchange greetings once before?

I'm glad you're sensible. I am older than you and get less sensible all the time.

7 Continents, huh? That's a lot. Of course if you look at a globe, you can see there are really only two.

North and South America are connected; that's one.

Europe, Africa and Asia are connected; that's two.

Everything else is too small or too frozen to count.

Hi, Annie, my little Petunia. I have no sympathy for your bad timing. You could have posted your answers and THEN looked to see what other people had to say.

I don't know what Paula's up to. The book came out last year. It said she was having a tv special in the fall.

Her book is very strange; possibly unique. I'm going to do a book report on it in a day or two. Right now I'm on the chapter that deals w/ the Wright Brothers.

That reminds me. (Just about anything reminds me of something. I believe this is fairly normal altho I have not seen any Roper polls or even any smaller polls like twine or shoestring.)

When I was a kid we couldn't chew gum in school but we could eat cough drops. I used to buy Smith Bros. cough drops. I think a package cost a dime. The red ones were delicious.

6. elliespad

elliespad Member

I'm a Rockgor groupie. And proud of it. Rock entertains and enlightens us and I for one, am eternally grateful. There, I said it. It wasn't hard.

I saw your puzzle too late to play, but have definately missed your puzzles and whats its. :)
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

A bought a lot of them when I was really young. All kids should have a corner grocery store!

But I have to tell you .....the black cough drops was my weakness. I love black ones...but not the red ones. To me it was just candy and really I think that was true.

I enjoy all your postings Rock...take care
    Blessings to you and Gordan. Susan
  8. rockgor

E.P. and Susan. Meet my after class by the trophy case, and I'll give you stick of gum or cough drop of your choice.
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

but my mind ran outta gas before I could quite finish... hmmm wha' happ'n to Lucy?

I was surprised I could come up with any of them, easier than usual.

We have old Lucy episodes on DVD, they're quite cheap if you poke around places like KMart, got them for my 89 yo MIL who has severe dementia... holds her interest sometimes, as fast-paced as they are!

10. rockgor

I read a novel one time where a character had a nervous breakdown. Her sister says, "She's under the table watching I Love Lucy. She doesn't even know what year it is."

Well, how would you w/ Lucy. It's been running for 6 decades.

Had a co-worker who did not approve of the show. Ricky actually spanked Lucy. And their marriage was full of deceit.

Well, I guess that's true. Kinda funny tho. My co worker is on his third marriage.