Hernia anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, May 15, 2009.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

I have to go to surgeon for a definite diagnosis but my rhemy told me it looked like I have a hernia. It is right above my navel.

Has anyone else had one? I DO NOT want any kind of surgery if I do not have to. FM is bad enough. Please let me know if you know anything about this.

2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Hi jmq,
    I had a hernia back in 2000. It was on my left side. For me surgery was the only option, as it was very bothersome. My insides would come outside the abdominal wall and get caught. It wasn't necessarily painful but uncomfortable.
    The surgery was pretty simple but there was pain after. My surgery lasted a couple of hours tops and I went home within hours. The pain was pretty bad for about 48 hours and then tapered off over a 3 week period. I worked at the time and went back to work after 4-5 days but it was too soon. It probably took longer for me to recover due to my Fm and CFS, but more of fatigue from the stress of the surgery caused me to crash. If you have plenty of time to recover because you don't work or aren't expected to go back to work quickly and the benefit outweighs the risk, I would do it. Hernias can get worse and can cause an emergency situation if left untreated. However I think it depends on where the hernia is.
    Good luck and best wishes
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2009]
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have a few more weeks until my appt. I DREAD any thought of surgery!

I wouldnt mind it if they just took out some of my fat tummy too! LOL
  4. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I had a hernia when I was 8 or so. I had massive pain and vomiting to the point of vomiting bile. The only thing that they could see wrong with me was a hernia. So I had exploratory abdominal surgery. Turns out a cyst had burst and diseased my insides, had holes in my intestine and they had twisted. Surgery was definitely my only option since I would have died had they waited another hour or two. My grandmother also has one that they are NOT doing surgery on at this point since her age is a big factor in the decision. She's 84 and has had it for years. However, it can become a serious situation, and at that point they'd change their minds. I think it'd be dependent on the location, size, and symptoms of the hernia. Good Luck!