Herpes problem Desperate for info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, Jan 29, 2007.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I would love to hear from people who have severe outbreaks and people who have a lot of nerve pain. I have basically had one big, excruciating outbreak since LAST JUNE!

Since I don't get the blisters, just the endless agonizing prodrome the doctors are shaking their (dim) heads. Seems they can't understand the virus without the blisters. Hello?! Everyday you read in the news that herpes is being spread all over by people who don't know they are having an outbreak because no blisters!

Well, anyway, my problem is severe and really taking a lot out of me and I can't find much about this although I know some people have s Post Herpetic Neuralgia from herpes as one might have from shingles.

Help me out here, please.
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

You do not mention where the pain is located. Herpes may run along any nerve. There are disases in which it really is not herpes, blisters or not. In those cases the ulcers are bacterial in nature, when tested they are not herpes.

May be if they swabed the area and tested for herpes you would be sure what it is....just a thought...
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

You might try using Turmeric (the herb, not the spice) 3 capsules spaced throughout the day, also the amino acid Lysine. Lysine has long been known as a herpes virus inhibitor, and Turmeric was prescribed to me to put my Epstein Barr Virus in remission. (EBP is another herpes virus)

Foods with Arginine (an amino acid) may promote the growth of herpes viruses. Foods such as chocolate, nuts, peas, and cereals are high in arginine.
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Thanks for the responses -- nothing to swab but tiny pinhead sized sore spots that usually disappear before I can even get to the MD.

I will try the turmeric and lysine and yes, I just read about chocolate, nuts and cereal -- funny, that's about half of my diet! I'm already missing the chocolate to say nothing of the sugared walnuts but frankly I'd give up more than food to settle this down.

Waited for months to see neurologist yesterday who smirkily suggested psychotherapy. That was embarrassing.

Any other suggestions out there?
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Someone suggested this within the last month here. You open up a l lysine capsule, add just enough water to the l lysine to make a paste and put it on the prodome.

Spacee
  6. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Is this genital or another type. Sounds like either way you shoud be on Valtrex tablets daily! What kind of doc are you going too? Please get a second opinion. Or have you? I hope you get some help!
  7. horsefeathers

horsefeathers New Member

Hi Louise, I was infected with Herpes I and II 30+ yrs ago and continue to do battle with it. I have tested the lysine/arginine balance in diet and it is very true. I suggest you get a book on nutrition to see what foods to eat or not. Refined sugars and starches can set me off as well as stress. I take Acyclovir daily for prevention and increase it if I feel the tingling or aching starting. I have learned to massage the nerve ganglion area affected and sometimes put ice on it. Relaxation/meditation is critical. I sympathize completely. It is a beast to contend with but you can gain some control over it.Also, I take Neurontin for the pain. It works.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2007]
  8. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Dear Horsefeathers,

Thank you so much for all the suggestions -- it sounds like you know the ropes . . .

Can you give me more details about your use of neurontin? Do you use it regularly? Does it keep the pain from the outbreaks away completely or just toned down?

Sorry to pry but I really need help here.

Best,
    Louise