Herx

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Jan 4, 2007.

1. nightngale

nightngale New Member

OK, I am new to this board and was just wondering what herx means? Thanks for any insight!
  2. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Bumping this up to try to get an answer!
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Hi, nightngale, welcome to the board. :) To the best of my recolection...

A herx is a reaction that some people have when treating Lyme disease. It means that the person gets sicker while doing the treatment. Since Lyme tests aren't totally accurate, getting sicker from antibiotics (herxing) is considered by some professtionals to be indicative of Lyme disease. The herxheimer reaction is named after Dr. Herxheimer, who first noticed it.

If you type "herx" into the search box, you'll get a lot of information. There's also a lot on the internet about it.

(( )) Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 01/05/2007]
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

Here's something I found on the internet that may help you:

Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction

The Jarisch -Herxheimer, or Herxheimer reaction, was named for the German dermatologist, Karl Herxheimer (1844-1947). Dorlands Medical Dictionary refers to the Herxheimer reaction as a transient, short-term, immunological reaction commonly seen following antibiotic treatment of early and later stage [infectious] diseases which [may be] manifested by fever, chills, headache, myalgias (muscle pain), and exacerbations of cutaneous lesions. The reaction has been attributed to liberation of endotoxins-like substances or of antigens (a substance which causes an immune reaction) from the killed or dying microorganisms.

Hope this helps!

5. CooBax

CooBax New Member

I was dx with lyme disease so I know all about herx's. Lyme works on a cycle and when you are on anti-biotics and the lyme is reproducing you have a worsening of your symptoms and that is called a herx. Generally if you are in treatment for lyme disease you herx about once a month.

Lesley
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

(sung to the ABBA's "Dancing Queen")

Herxing has two stages. First, there is an immune response where one feels flu like with aches and pains. Then, there is purging of whatever pathogens have been killed by treatment. The purging can consist of profuse sweating, nausea, and/or diarrhea. One usually feels better post Herxing.

Any treatment which can cuase dieoff of large numbers of pathoges can produce a Herx effect. This includes antibiotics, antivirals, and antifungals plus any other treatments such as herbal, colloidal silver, transfer factors, and zappers.

Usually, Herxing is considered evidence that one has an infection and that the treatment is working.

My Herxes have come from ABX treatment for mycoplasma infections. I was on Doxycycline for 2 1/2 years to get the infection under control. I also Herxed from Famvir to control unknown reactivated Herpes-Family Viruses, likely CMV, EBV, and/or HHV-6. My zapper can cause Herxing as do the transfer factors which I pulse every six weeks to maintain my immunity.

Love, Mikie
  7. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Thanks for all the replies!